Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Know this car?

It was featured in Classics Monthly in a Reader's Cars feature in February 2016. It belonged to someone called Adrian Williams. Apparently recorded in the article as no history, but in exceptional original condition, with only a few minor bubbles here and there.

Hi
I've seen this one. I'm new to the forum and I am looking for a Renault 4 and looking for all the help I can get as it seems like a minefield hunting a good one down that doesn't cost the earth!
It says in the ebay write up 'extensive welding done underneath around rear suspension- very high quality work' it's running at £3200 already with 7 days to go on the auction.
Anyone have any idea what a car like this is likely to go for? Is it worth a look? ( although I don't really know what I'm looking for/at!)
Thanks
Linda

Can you find out who did the repair work? The seller might have pictures of what was done, or could provide an exact description of what was fixed (e.g. inner suspension mounts, outer suspension mounts). Where is it located? If you do go to view it, see if you can look underneath. Check that there isn't uneven wear on each side of each of the rear tyres (indicative of misaligned rear wheels).

Hi Linda, jjad is right, the part of the chassis where the rear suspension is mounted is very prone to rusting, and of done properly is very time consuming, so the cost of this repair is high. If it has been done right that's great, so do try to check it out. This car is think is a 1977 model with the single amber indicators at the front and side-lights in the headlights. So I'm thinking now that the grille is wrong, and should be the aluminium type. Oh dear, I've got my nerd had on, please excuse me :laughing:
It is a nice looking car though, so good luck trying to bag it.

Regards Brian.

Hi Linda, jjad is right, the part of the chassis where the rear suspension is mounted is very prone to rusting, and of done properly is very time consuming, so the cost of this repair is high. If it has been done right that's great, so do try to check it out. This car is think is a 1977 model with the single amber indicators at the front and side-lights in the headlights. So I'm thinking now that the grille is wrong, and should be the aluminium type. Oh dear, I've got my nerd had on, please excuse me :laughing:

Wow you know your stuff! The ebay blurb says it's 1975 but I'm new to all this! The problem is I wouldn't know if it has been done properly or not!

Can you find out who did the repair work? The seller might have pictures of what was done, or could provide an exact description of what was fixed (e.g. inner suspension mounts, outer suspension mounts). Where is it located? If you do go to view it, see if you can look underneath. Check that there isn't uneven wear on each side of each of the rear tyres (indicative of misaligned rear wheels).

Hi
Thanks for the reply. The seller is near me and I could see it. I might give the, a call to,orrow and get some more info. The problem is, as I said to Cornish4, I wouldnt know if it had been done well or not!
On the surface, It does look like a good little car and seems quite popular on ebay already! What would you expect to pay/get for a model like that if it's relatively solid?
Thanks again
Linda

Hi Linda, yes I just looked at the advert, 75 it is. It does look good inside and out, but it's a pity there isn't an under the bonnet picture, just to see if that is just as clean. If it is genuine it's certainly worth the money I reckon, and will I expect go a bit higher. I understand your position, but buying any second hand car can have its pitfalls as I expect you know, so, it has an mot, looks straight, go for it. I bought a 84 GTL this year off a forum member, unseen, and paid a bit more than what this one is at. I drive it home to Cornwall, and ok there have been one or two things to sort out, but hey-ho, it's what I wanted, and no regrets. I love it.
Do you have a tame motor mechanic you can take with you to check it out?

Linda, might be worth asking Paul Cunningham to have a look at it as he's local and knows them inside out. Think he is in Worthing.

He's on here as Mr Reno 139 or something similar but googling him should bring up his contact details.

Linda, might be worth asking Paul Cunningham to have a look at it as he's local and knows them inside out. Think he is in Worthing.

He's on here as Mr Reno 139 or something similar but googling him should bring up his contact details.

Great idea - I'll give him a call. Thanks so much.
Linda

Linda, To put you out of your misery, here are his contact details -

Paul Cunningham (Mr.Reno)
96 Station Road
Worthing
W Sussex BN11 1JY (01903-233476 or 0797-3423795)

You'll need to enquire if the vendor did the repairs himself and how well, or ask who carried out the repairs. The overall appearance of the car seems exceptionally good and my instincts would be that the same care would have been taken with any repairs. But that needs to be determined. Paul is THE MAN to go with you to ask those questions.

(It was featured in Classics Monthly in a Reader's Cars feature in February 2016. It belonged to someone called Adrian Williams. Apparently recorded in the article as no history, but in exceptional original condition, with only a few minor bubbles here and there).

It was presumably sold on by Mr Williams after the Classics Monthly item, since it is now listed as being down in Lewes, and was previously photographed by CM for the article in Derby. However the article is a winter one and the pictures are clearly summer (leaves on trees) so were I would suggest, taken several months earlier in 2015. The 2016 article says that the owner had received no history with the car but that it appeared in excellent condition. The current seller says 'Extensive welding work carried out underneath around rear suspension, very high quality work.' but doesn't necessarily claim to have done it himself. The CM article claims that when on the ramp for its last MOT it was remarkable how clean and rust free the underbody was, so a few possible contradictions there.
The current seller also has a Triumph for sale and various bits of motobilia. He claims to have re-commissioned the car, although CM obviously drove it and pronounced it in good shape in 2015, so where it has been in the interim would need questioning.

(It was featured in Classics Monthly in a Reader's Cars feature in February 2016. It belonged to someone called Adrian Williams. Apparently recorded in the article as no history, but in exceptional original condition, with only a few minor bubbles here and there).

It was presumably sold on by Mr Williams after the Classics Monthly item, since it is now listed as being down in Lewes, and was previously photographed by CM for the article in Derby. However the article is a winter one and the pictures are clearly summer (leaves on trees) so were I would suggest, taken several months earlier in 2015. The 2016 article says that the owner had received no history with the car but that it appeared in excellent condition. The current seller says 'Extensive welding work carried out underneath around rear suspension, very high quality work.' but doesn't necessarily claim to have done it himself. The CM article claims that when on the ramp for its last MOT it was remarkable how clean and rust free the underbody was, so a few possible contradictions there.
The current seller also has a Triumph for sale and various bits of motobilia. He claims to have re-commissioned the car, although CM obviously drove it and pronounced it in good shape in 2015, so where it has been in the interim would need questioning.

Hi
That's really useful to know. I'm going to contact the seller to try to get a bit more background to the car.
It's still going for £3200 on ebay but bidding has a way to go yet. Suspect it may go beyond my budget - do the older ones usually go for more if they are in good condition?
I'm just new to all this trying to get to grips with what I can expect/ find without buying a heap of trouble!
Linda

For a 1975 R4 it's a nice genuine Original, the gril must be black plastic. Pitty there no under the bonnet or inside pictures, this model should have a glass cooling liquid reservoir, 2-spoke steering wheel, black dashboard, etc.
Nice car at first glimpse, but a good inspection on the known rustspots should be performed.

Hi
That's really useful to know. I'm going to contact the seller to try to get a bit more background to the car.
It's still going for £3200 on ebay but bidding has a way to go yet. Suspect it may go beyond my budget - do the older ones usually go for more if they are in good condition?
I'm just new to all this trying to get to grips with what I can expect/ find without buying a heap of trouble!
Linda

I've been searching for renault 4s in Classic car and came across this: http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/renault/4/186667
It's the very same car being sold by Adrian from Derby ( I guess the one from the feature article in the magazine) I don't know how old this advert is but it doesn't appear to be archived.
I spoke to Sussex Sports Car in Lewes who are selling the car now on ebay and he was most unhelpful - said he didn't know much about the car, it had been a part exchange. He asked if I had a garage to store it (which I have) and basically told me not to bother as I didn't have any mechanical knowledge and it would break down (as he said they did in their day) and need constantly 'tweaking'. It was a 'hobby car'. He may well be right but a bit of encouragement to enter the world of Classic cars wouldn't have gone amiss! I won't be bidding!

Linda

These cars are now getting on in years and therefore appeal to the DIY enthusiast. As things go wrong, and they will, unless you are prepared to learn and do things for yourself, or have a mechanically inclined boyfriend/husband/partner/father, then you're going to have to search for a sympathetic mechanic local to you, many of which must be charging £65 an hour or thereabouts. So Sussex Sports Cars WERE encouraging you, but encouraging you to think things over with your head rather than your heart.

Linda

These cars are now getting on in years and therefore appeal to the DIY enthusiast. As things go wrong, and they will, unless you are prepared to learn and do things for yourself, or have a mechanically inclined boyfriend/husband/partner/father, then you're going to have to search for a sympathetic mechanic local to you, many of which must be charging £65 an hour or thereabouts. So Sussex Sports Cars WERE encouraging you, but encouraging you to think things over with your head rather than your heart.

You are right! Thanks for the wise words!
Linda

Back