Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1234 on the speedo

Richnd1974

Enthusiast
What do the 1234 markings on the speedo relate to.. Driving my R4 this evening I wondered.

Hi Richard
To quote from the handbook:
'Orange figures 1/2/3/4 indicate the most economical speed for the gear concerned. They help you drive economically. As soon as the speedometer needle reaches 1-2 or 3, change up to the next higher gear.
Example: Needle reaches 2 when in 2nd gear, change into 3rd.'

Thanks Andy, makes sense .. Driving up to these numbers certainly means revving up to the maximum.. I change up earlier

If I saw 1234 on my speedo-it woud mean I was going just above mach1 ,I would probably thank the lord
for those superb aerodynamics -Reid
I'm sure Reid, you can reach mach 2 with your Alpine engine but only when you do an upgrade on the gearbox :D
I agree with the superb aerodynamics and don't underestimate the incredible downforce.
Regards Joop

I think it's the maximum recommended speed you can reach in each gear, not the "greenest" point to put the next.

Living in France, I am under the impression that the average French peasant is not the sharpest tool in the box, especially after a few pastis! So, assumed the numbers are there to guide them in which order to use the gears. I may be wrong?

Hi, my husband says that it's the maximum revs, so change now, anymore and you're flogging a dead horse. He says that the numbers are there because there is no rev counter.

Back