Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Tow bar

Foofighters 27

Enthusiast
Hi anyone ever fitted a tow bar on an r4,only wanting to pull a small trailer with a drum kit in it ????
Thanks mark

Hi foofighters - Can help with that one! Have one I designed and had made. can email PDF I think

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

I would be very interested in the PDF or details of where you got yours made.

Pat.

Hello Pat

Sorry for being slow! Just discovered your message. Here is the PDF of the 'fishplates' I had laser Cut.
PLEASE NOTE THIS PDF IS FOR ILLUSTRATION ONLY. I can forward a correctly scaled version or alternatively DXF file or whatever the laser cutting people need.
The fishplates bolt directlt onto the inboard sides of the rear chassis using the existing re-inforced fixing holes. These fishplates replace the existing towing eye plates (hence the elongated hole bottom front)

Between the two plates 60x40mm square steel tube is welded and off the centre of this the removeable tow hook.

I can provide photos later- prob wednesday eve.

Jonathan

• R4 Towbar PDF.pdf
    17.8 KB · Views: 29
So there is! ... My design however is hidden. If the tow hook mount is discreetly positioned its not easily visible. the main cross bar is hidden behind the bumper .
Will post some pictures later

J

Thanks Jonathan,

I have a bit of work to do before I get to the cutting stage......but great to have.
Pat.

12052011542.jpg

Towing is possible with theses as the others say, had no problem with my 1100 towing and it has I believe a gen Renault tow bar fitted (saw the same one on another R4). I had to retrieve my cbr400rr from 30 miles away after binning it and the R4 took it in its stride.

2 Geoff in the Gully: Almost there....two guys were at back side pushing caravan uphill where needed

...just kidding....R4 puled it like a pro! ;)

There is almost no limit to what an R4 will tow, mine pulled a trailer with an R4 with 2spare engines gearboxes and doors out of a farmyard and over the Brecon Beacons without any problems, probably not very legal though!

if we are being really silly just remembered borrowing F4 van which belonged to the renault garage i worked for when i left school
needed to tow an austin cambridge to the local banger racing track about 20 miles away and using a cut down caravan as a trailer managed reasonably well to tow with 845 cc's
not sure that i would attempt it now or what VOSA would make of it

There is almost no limit to what an R4 will tow, mine pulled a trailer with an R4 with 2spare engines gearboxes and doors out of a farmyard and over the Brecon Beacons without any problems, probably not very legal though!
Love the idea of seeing an R4 towing another on a trailer. I'll have to see what we can arrange.
And yes, there'll be some rule somewhere broken by this

Back