Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Drive Shafts for 1965 LHD R4 (Ornella)

Alex Selwood

Enthusiast
Hi, You may remember Malcolm's beautiful "Ornella" - still alive and well in Hampshire. Her drive shafts are worn, and need replacing, and I am looking for the correct ones (747cc, 1965 vintage). can anyone help or point me in the right direction, please? Thanks.

have definitely got some very early drive shaft brand new old stock not sure whether part numbers r attached as a cardboard boxes fell to pieces long time ago
they are the ones with exposed outer joints with double hardy spicer type couplings
seem to remember there is more than one type depending on suspension angle or something

Hi, and thank you...this could well be the right bits! Apparently, the ones I should have DO have exposed outer joints. I am not mechanical enough to know whether or not they are the right ones though. Can we discuss? Perhaps you could send photo? Very keen to resolve...thank you

I put a pair of brand new ones on that car. Surprised they have failed already.

I put a pair of brand new ones on that car. Surprised they have failed already.
Good to hear from you, MAlcolm. As you know, I am not mechanically inclined...however, full lock acceleration gives a wobble through the steering that is quite pronounced. Also, I can hear a "bearing whine" that is getting worse, and finally, the rubber gaiters that you put on keep on tearing on RHS, (I have replaced twice) suggesting that there is something wrong. I would be interested in your views, though.....

Cheers

I don't know what would cause the gaiters to fail. If the driveshafts aren't rubbing against anything I wonder if they were the right length. I don't recall if I checked the length against the remaining original driveshaft that came off.

have definitely got some very early drive shaft brand new old stock not sure whether part numbers r attached as a cardboard boxes fell to pieces long time ago
they are the ones with exposed outer joints with double hardy spicer type couplings
seem to remember there is more than one type depending on suspension angle or something

If you have more than Alex needs, would you be willing to send some down to Australia?
I've been in need of a few for some time and had given up hope...
Pretty much all the R4 down here are pre-'67

Cheers, Geoff

I don't know what would cause the gaiters to fail. If the driveshafts aren't rubbing against anything I wonder if they were the right length. I don't recall if I checked the length against the remaining original driveshaft that came off.
I think that may be the problem...the mechanic I have used thought so too. Hopefully these new ones will resolve. Thank you

A

Hi, me again. Please let me know how you would like to proceed. Many thanks Alex

Not able to get to parts till Friday will post pics when they are accessible
sitting in a collect ion of probably 50+ new old stock shafts
will get you a price as not mine personally

as promised i have been searching through my friends stockpile all of these drive shafts app for pre 1972 cars but think there may be some differences 4earlier carsthink angel might be the best person to ask but20140828_183037.jpg 20140828_140908.jpg as this is not facebook you can't tag people to get their attention

20140829_173645.jpg 20140829_173635.jpg further checking my own stock found 2 early drive shafts which will fit both ends as same splines but longer length overall this type has the later rubberouter end similar to the gt l type
however putting them side by side reveals a difference in lengths

The shorter ones are for the front axles with 7-degree castor angle - pre 1969.
Post 1969 the caste angle was 13 degrees.
According the manual there's 10mm difference between the early and later drive shafts.

The different joints at the gearbox end are related to whether its a tube or solid shaft.
There also appear to have been a couple of different joints at the wheel end for tube shafts
I think the one on the right is really early.
I think the one on the left might be the same as the one on the left in Mr Reno's pics - without the cover.
DSCF0811.JPG

Alex, I reckon either of the shorter ones would do for the early suspension.
Though it's always nice to get Angel's confirmation.

Mr Reno, are there many of these shorter ones in the collection?

if you look i have got 6 short shaftsas seen in the picture leaning against my laguna the other shafts which are longer i have got 2 of
All for sale first come first served £40 each can do paypal and plus postage costs
these are all new genuine renault parts but boxes haven't survived

if you look i have got 6 short shaftsas seen in the picture leaning against my laguna the other shafts which are longer i have got 2 of
All for sale first come first served £40 each can do paypal and plus postage costs
these are all new genuine renault parts but boxes haven't survived
have left message on the phone number listed on your profile....would like to talk if possible. Thank you

hi there did get answer phone message but number wasn't clear enough for me too ring back text me with the number not sure on time differences

Mr Reno's picture is a perfect way of distinguishing pre-69 (short) and post-69 (long) driveshafts. Joint type really doesn't matter as far as length is correct.

Back