Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

how to fit an oil gauge ?

Cyprus Andy

Enthusiast
I wondered if anyone had fitted an oil gauge as I have one and cannot see how to fit a "T" piece as the gap between the engine and the chassis is too tight ? Is there some kind of adapter I need ?? :confused:

• SAM_0330.JPG
    SAM_0330.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 2
I have never fitted one on an R4. On other cars with similar clearance problems I would have a short high pressure hose made, then attach a T piece to its end so I can fit both the warning lamp and gauge senders. A banjo fitting works best for the engine end of the hose on the R4.

You can use the solution from later Renault 12 or Dacia 1310. There is an electrical oil pressure gauge on dashboard and its sender is placed along with the oil warning lamp sender on a hollow adaptor on the engine block. The adaptor looks like a hollow screw.

I have decided to use a "Banjo" connection on the cylinder block with a pipe to a remote "T" piece and connect the oil pressure warning light and gauge to the "T" piece ( the "T" piece is M14 for a Vauxhall ) the same size as the R4

I have also fitted an adapter for the water temperature gauge which is M18 external thread size to fit the block where the original sensor was fitted, this is internally threaded to 1/8 NPT to accept most standard sensors to a Temp Gauge from Demon Tweeks on ebay

• banjo.JPG
    banjo.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 3
  • t piece.JPG
    t piece.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 3
  • lma_sender_adaptor.jpg
    lma_sender_adaptor.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 4
I have never fitted one on an R4. On other cars with similar clearance problems I would have a short high pressure hose made, then attach a T piece to its end so I can fit both the warning lamp and gauge senders. A banjo fitting works best for the engine end of the hose on the R4.

Exactly what Angel told me to do,
Just had this made up at the local hydraulic pipe shop in Limassol yesterday........It allows a "T" piece to be fitted remotely for an oil gauge and retains the oil warning light switch from the engine.
I found Vauxhall had the same size thread ( M14x1.5) to the block for the T piece but there was not enough room between the chassis to allow fitting it.
The banjo fitting to the block allows the T piece to be fitted to the bulkhead and from there you can attach the oil pressure pipe to the gauge and attach the wire for the warning light.
Cheers Angel I think it will work just fine ;)

• oil pipe copy.jpg
    oil pipe copy.jpg
    550.1 KB · Views: 14
Would you get an air lock in that line?
Do you have to bleed it like brakes?

Yes when you get it all piped up you need to open the end at the gauge and put this end in a container and turn the engine with the HT lead off the distributor so the engine will not fire up and when the oil comes through the pipe then connect it to the gauge to remove any air in the pipe.

Back