Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hello from USA

Welcome Antonio!
Hopefully by the end of this 2014, there will be two R4s more in the East coast, counting mine (below)
I'm importing it from South America.
Enjoy yours!
DSC01245.JPG

It's here

Temperature light comes on I have flash the radiator and water flows

I have waited and see if fan comes on and looks ok

I use a lazer to check the temperature at the block sensor and reads 95 - 100 but light comes on at 95c

Any thoughts?

Sensor at engine.

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 4
Hi Antonio, have you any idea what petrol you'll be using? I use 95 lead free, but then put in a few drops of lead additive, although some people say its not necessary. I also use a thick oil, 20W50
Good luck with your car, it looks great!

I use the same gas as the 2cv's never had any problems its a 91oct in the US I think something like 95 in europe

Oil was change in France before come

I do notice the engine bay paint on the side of the bottle the paint has been exposed to hot antifreze I just hope is not head gasket or the head its cracked

I do see a lot of bobbles on the bottle : (

And also do not think its a 1.1L block Plate says C1CC7/08 C08411

Antonio

Hi Antonio, have you any idea what petrol you'll be using? I use 95 lead free, but then put in a few drops of lead additive, although some people say its not necessary. I also use a thick oil, 20W50
Good luck with your car, it looks great!

Sorry to hear that, it does sound like there may be a head gasket problem.

Hi Antonio, your car looks great. Hope you sort out the overheating problems. Oh the joys of older cars, but atleast it's DIY friendly. I run my GTL on 98 octane fuel, which suits it best, but 95 should be fine maybe with a drop of octane boost added, like Castrol Valvemaster Plus. Good luck, and I hope you are out on the open road soon and down to Great Falls for coffee n cars. Enjoy.

Regards Brian :)

It looks great Antonio...!
Hope you can fix the gasket or whatever is ailing your quatrelle. Be careful and don't let it boil! Water bubbling in the bottle isn't a good sign.

Come down to the temp sensor on the top of the block, trying to find one . I am also installing a digital temp gauge to keep an eye on it.

She is runs great, not signs of overheating , been using for the last 3 days and put over 500 kilometros on it and max temp where the sensor goes is around 95 c, sound about right for these cars under little load.

I think the sensor was suposed to be set as 105c??? on the back on the block BUT the dash light is coming on around 85c, really scared me .

She is a keeper , and the dog also loves her too!

IMG_3741.JPG

After 5 minutes on the road can resiste the conforte of a Renault

IMG_3745.JPG

My poor kids better learn some french LOL

IMG_3738.JPG

Antonio

It looks great Antonio...!
Hope you can fix the gasket or whatever is ailing your quatrelle. Be careful and don't let it boil! Water bubbling in the bottle isn't a good sign.

I am jealous about your renaults! (just kiding)
Had same combination few years back. But R5 had to go!

As this temp sensor on cylinder head he is know get broken and start to signalizing on dashboard but actually there is no overheating.

P1020155 (900 x 1200).jpg

I can try at local renault dealer shop look for price and is it still available, and let you know!

Also!
It might not be bad idea to reconsider changing head gasket.
It is not so big job, and not so expensive.
it is old engine and gasket could start to rot.
I have changed on my 1.1 engine while doing major car rebuild, and it was rotten on one cooling channel. Not much but would start to mix water and petrol in some time.
I am not scaring you just trying to give you some info about whole problem!

I got someone going to Renault today in Portugal and see if they still have it

I will take your offer if I can not find it

For now I will install a temp gauge and keep an eye on it , car has power runs very well at 65-70 mph , heater works , the bottle never over flow, I will give some time and see

I got this temp gauge

http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/koso/shop/egt-temps/dl-water-temp-meter-4/

and will tap it somewhere in the cilinder head I think will give me a great idea of the temperatures that are running.

I will let you know

Antonio

I am jealous about your renaults! (just kiding)
Had same combination few years back. But R5 had to go!

As this temp sensor on cylinder head he is know get broken and start to signalizing on dashboard but actually there is no overheating.

View attachment 10444

I can try at local renault dealer shop look for price and is it still available, and let you know!

Also!
It might not be bad idea to reconsider changing head gasket.
It is not so big job, and not so expensive.
it is old engine and gasket could start to rot.
I have changed on my 1.1 engine while doing major car rebuild, and it was rotten on one cooling channel. Not much but would start to mix water and petrol in some time.
I am not scaring you just trying to give you some info about whole problem!

Everything is ok, installed a new radiator, and also order the 111 sensor for it. No more red light, also install the temperature gauge and seems ok.

I am driving it until first day of snow due to salt used on the roads, then I will store it , she is too nice and keeping her from rusting.

Thru the winter I plan install sound proof on floor boards and make carpet but besides that been a great car.

If I come across a 1.1L might order another one , I think longer gear ratio will make a big difference cruzing at 120 kph mine runs very high rpms due to short gear box .

Great day everyone

The 4L keeps doing miles in USA, I have decided to add lead substitute on the gas due to the fact gas in USA has 10% ethanol, seems to be running very strong.

I also order a rool of fabric and sound stuff to make carpets for the car, I will use the rubber mats as templates and create my own . I think will make it a little more quiter ;)

Has been almost my DD and already has 5K miles on it. I have changed the oil and notice same oil filter as my R5 Turbo.

By the way I have order another one as a GTL with 36K kilometros on it should be here Feb 3 , can't wait, this one I might keep it as a project , maybe upgrade the engine with a Lecar Engine and add AC for the summer and keep this engine as spare.

not looking for extra HP just little less RPM when cruzing down the road at 70 mph .

That would be cool to have a 4L with AC for the brutal summers in USA

OK guys Merry Xmas to everyone !

Antonio

IMG_3844.JPG IMG_4241.JPG IMG_4375.JPG

Back