Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

4L International 2015

Yes it does look like the dates have changed David. Take it you'll still be there. Better for me I think, as it shouldn't clash with an event I want to go to in Brittany. Article in same edition of Azazellos' epic trip around France with his friends back in the summer. Wish I could read French, but the pictures look fab.;)

Aargh, thought I was being a bit optimistic putting the dates up so early so humble apologies from me. Should make it a bit easier to get the kids out of school for a couple of days though, and it doesn't clash with Wimbledon this time.

So who's planning on going then? And how you getting there?

I'm pondering on ferry crossings at present, P&O Dov-Cal at around 8am Friday seems good but then Newhaven - Dieppe has some merit although 1400 arrival in France might not be ideal given the four hour drive on the other side.

I'll probably end up doing Dover - Calais though with a cheap hotel in Dover the night before as strangely ViaMichelin reckons theres only about an extra hour or so drive from Calais as opposed to Dieppe or even Caen and D-C is a lot cheaper.

David, I shall be crossing the Channel via Plymouth-Roscoff of course, but I can recommend a good b&b in Dover I've stayed at a couple of times, the most recent was last September. It's the Castle House guest house, 01304 201656, www.castle-guesthouse.co.uk. Nice comfortable rooms and a superb breakfast.

I'm hoping to get an early Eriba "Puck" micro caravan this year and at around 500kg it should be within "Claudia's" ( my R4 ) ability to tow it ( I hope ). I'm in my sixties now with a bad chest and although I've always enjoyed tents and camping generally in the past, for me at least, it probably now time to stop.

Claude

PS. If you are over 60 there is a 20% fare discount on the Newhaven - Dieppe ferry crossing
LD Lines (Transmanche)

Hello Claude, the Puck sounds ideal, as I'm sure I've seen R4s towing them before. They are quite popular amongst owners of smaller classics aren't they, especially VW Beetles, as they have that nice retro look as well.
I don't think that Brittany ferries do a discount on age, but I can get a bit off the price through the Caravan and Camping club.
Hope you make it to Thenay, I'll be looking out for you.

Regards, Brian.

I don't qualify for a discount on Newhaven - Dieppe although the fairs they charge are pretty good anyway. I'd probably have gone for that but the 0900 sailing ex Newhaven only arrives at Dieppe at 1400 which given that theres a 4 1/2 hour drive in France is later than I'd like on the Friday. I'm hoping to get to France earlier and have a more relaxing drive through France and hopefully without bits falling off this year...

But we like stopping at all the services to repair vehicles!

I'd better start sorting my lads 4l out a bit quicker, we've got it running sweet and have sorted the engine and exhaust out, we now need to clean the fuel tank out and get the fuel lines cleaned out as the old fuel is rank!

Then there's a little welding on the floor pan and then if I can be bothered to do something about the body work I may have a bit of a clean up, I've already found a replacement bonnet and one of the rear wings needs tidying up a little too!

I'll probably do the Newhaven/Dieppe crossing tho unless I can find a Caen crossing cheap

Hello pepper, it sounds like you've a bit to do, but that's nothing for a chap of your caliber. Looking forward to meeting up with you in Thenay.

Regards, Brian.

My way will be completely different since I come from the south... but I'll be there!
of course with the white one, cause the green will not be ready for that time...

I'm hoping to get an early Eriba "Puck" micro caravan this year and at around 500kg it should be within "Claudia's" ( my R4 ) ability to tow it ( I hope ). I'm in my sixties now with a bad chest and although I've always enjoyed tents and camping generally in the past, for me at least, it probably now time to stop.

Hi Claude. You mean like this? womble.jpg

Back