Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Battery recommendations

mccp

Enthusiast
The battery on my Savane has given up the ghost.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement, or are they all pretty much the same? My car gets around three months of driving a year and has to sit waiting for up to three months between drives. A battery that can cope with that would be great :)

Hi mccp, if you disconnect the battery while you're away, you shouldn't have a problem. I had 4 months in between drives and once there was a 6 month delay, and my car started after 3 tries, but only because the fuel needed to get pumped through. It also wasn't a particularly fantastic make of battery, but it was a new one.

Good idea, maybe I'll fit a battery isolator.

The 'correct' battery is moderately expensive, but you can fit other small batteries in as long as the terminals are the same layout. I've been using the battery for a mk1 Twingo for a while, and fitted an isolating switch to stop it discharging when laid up for a while. Works a treat :)

As we sometimes don't use our R4 for long periods (so have to charge the battery up), I'm interested in fitting a battery isolating switch. Can you give details on where you got it from/how you fitted it?
Thanks!

Thanks! I suppose the idea is that if someone tried to start it with the switch off, the current that the starter motor would draw would blow the fuse? Agree that it would defeat purpose for us (thpugh nice not to have to reset the clock every time!).

Back