Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Engine Work whilst its out?

nicky4tl

Enthusiast
Hi Everyone,
Looking for opinions. I am moving along slowly with my project. The chassis is pretty much done and i hope to start building it all back up soon. Last week i turned my attention to the engine. It is an 845cc and was running perfectly when i took the car apart about 7 years ago. It has about 75000 miles on the clock. I had it from about 40k and it got fresh oil and service every 5k without fail. I have a new clutch to fit.

Whilst the engine is out are there things I should definitely renew? I don't want to get into rebuilding the whole engine.

I will be fitting megajolt mappable electronic ignition driven by a cam pulley sensor. I have picked up a new zenith 32if7 carb that Im thinking of fitting. Has anyone experience of using an adapter to go from 32mm to 28mm so i can use the existing manifold? Im wondering if the reduction in cross sectional area (32mm is 3216mm2, 28mm only 2463mm2) would cause issues?
Any advice/thoughts welcome.
Thanks
Nick

It's worth changing the water pump as the seals dry up when there is no water inside and 7 years will have killed it. Clutch is worthwhile.

Another thing to do it make sure the engine turns. I fitted a seized engine once!

righto. A new water pump it is. Does anyone know if the water pump from the later 845cc engine that had the 32if7 carb will fit the earlier 800 engine with the 28if carb? If so i may as well get the one which has the extra outlet for the carb base.
The engine turns easily. I turned it over by hand a few times every couple of months whilst it was sat in the garage.

Should I look at the timing chain and tensioner or are these fairly indestructible?

Should I look at the timing chain and tensioner or are these fairly indestructible?

I think that you should.
The parts are relatively cheap.
Everything ( the ancillaries ) on the R4 is driven by the camshaft. On "usual" cars they are driven by the crankshaft. It makes sense to avoid any prospect of failure caused by looseness and it will bring the benefit of a quieter motor.
It is not unknown for tensioners to disintegrate.

David

right. thanks for that David. I'll investigate what parts and technique are required for the timing chain and tensioners now.

It looks like the part number for the water pump on the B1B 800 engine with the 32if7 setup is the same as the earlier one with the 28if. so hopefully it will have the connections for the carb base.

The water pump is the same as on earlier R4s, but there is an extra water outlet on the left side of the cylinder head, and a T union on the lower heater hose for the return.

Even if you only check the timing chain and tensioner, and find them to be OK, now is the time to do it, as they are inaccessible with the engine in the car!

thanks for that. I had a look at the timing chain this afternoon. May as well have been staring into a field of thistles really. :) How worn is worn out i guess is the question. The tensioner has two lines scored in it. The camshaft wheel has rather sharp teeth. Here are some pictures.camshaft.jpgcrank.jpgtensioner.JPG

That tensioner indicates a fair bit of wear. If it was also close to its length of travel that would suggest wear in the chain - a bit elongated.
My guess is there's reasonably extensive wear on all components.

Are there any marks from the chain on the inside of the timing cover? That indicates a sloppy chain in definite need of replacement.

You can get a kit with both cogs, a chain and tensioner for less than twice the price of the tensioner alone.
The real effort is in getting to the stage you are already at.
I'd change the lot and have peace of mind as well as new timing gear.

Hi. Could anyone advise me on where i might get a timing chain kit for this engine? I rang renault parts and was given a part number of 7701461100 but it is unavailable.

I have difficulties looking for a complete set of gears, chain and tensioner for 845 engine... found one on ebay pretty cheap but vema was a very bad brand, I was told...
Looking unsuccessfully for other item...

I have some timing chain / gears sets for sale (OMC-italian made) along with genuine Renault tensioner. If anyone is interested, let me lnow.

Back