Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Petrol Tank Replacement

Sage103

Gordon
Has anyone replaced the standard R4 tank with a modern plastic tank? I realise that most plastic tanks will have a electric lift pump installed but that shouldn't be a stumbling block. I suppose that the shape might be a problem as plastic tanks are usually complicated mouldings to fit ahead of the back wheels and under the rear seat. The attraction would be no corrosion issues.

Has anyone replaced the standard R4 tank with a modern plastic tank? I realise that most plastic tanks will have a electric lift pump installed but that shouldn't be a stumbling block. I suppose that the shape might be a problem as plastic tanks are usually complicated mouldings to fit ahead of the back wheels and under the rear seat. The attraction would be no corrosion issues.

I see that no-one has replied to this. A friend is looking for a replacement petrol tank for her R4L and we've been unable to find one. I didn't realise that plastic ones were available. Who sells them, please ? Although we are in Croatia we have vehicles coming down to here from the UK fairly regularly and delivery to a UK address is not a problem.

As far as I know there isn't a commercially available replacement plastic petrol tank for the 4l,

The Sage is probably thinking of adapting another vehicles tank as a replacement.

Although thinking about it CAK tanks could probably make one and they're based locally to me!

I was thinking about adapting a plastic tank from another vehicle - it is just finding a question of the best shape. I did look at marine plastic petrol tanks - they are nicely cubical but possibly might be frowned up on by a vehicle tester. Whereas one from another car will not only beat the rust problem - it will also be less likely to rupture in an accident. The R4 does have plenty of space between the back wheels to accommodate an odd-shaped tank. :)

I've finally bitten the bullet here and acquired a Fiesta plastic tank which will fit quite easily in place of the old tank but will certainly mean that the spare wheel will have to move. But don't expect rapid progress - it's on a long list of things to do before the MOT.

An update - finally got round to removing the petrol tank (a direct result of having now retired and with time to crack on with getting my R4 back on the road) but found it to be in good condition. When I bought the car the owner mentioned that the tank weeped petrol when full but I suspect the leak may be at the filler end of the supply pipe. Just need to confirm that as I'm deferring the plastic upgrade (which looks to be fairly straightforward and would double capacity) as it would just be a diversion at this stage.

Back