Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Whose car is this?

S-Car-Go

Enthusiast
I found a photo of a green 5, slammed to the ground, at a VW show called Big Bang in Bedfordshire. Does anyone know who owns(ed) it? I'd like to know how they managed to get it so low and still drive it.

GreenR52.JPG GreenR53.JPG

adjusted the torsion bars, back might have had drop plates installed

Possibly just a reflection of my advanced years, but I just don't get this slammed thing. What is the point? What possible use is a car that low? Cannot imagine it has any handling worth talking about and it must ground on every cat's eye out there. If the only objective is to get the car onto the ground then why not just take the wheels off and put some casters on it?

My Bora has gone from being very boaty to stiff and a bit more chuckable for a large saloon. Each generation has done things to cars haven't they? Jacked up back suspension, big engines, body kits, just my gen like lowered cars?
Sure, they don't look useable but I surprise people with what I do with my Bora.

10409105_634836103304075_2463315352079262520_n.jpg

Fair I get into a little trouble now and then, but speed bumps are a little idiotic in general
1654308_638154992972186_1700296589390960090_n.jpg

adjusted the torsion bars, back might have had drop plates installed
Yes, I would imagine, but I was under the impression that lowering a 5 to this extent would ruin the suspension geometry. After posting this, however, I discovered some pictures of a Renault club in Mexico that featured several this low. Curious!

That's just straightforward torsion bar adjustment. I had a few mk1 R5 that were lowered although not quite that low and never had any problems. They were better with updated shock absorbers fitted and with Spax adjustables set to stiff it was like a big go kart.

Thanks Lobster! It appears that the actual re-indexing of the torsion bars is not that difficult a procedure. What strikes me about the photo is that the wheels seem to have neutral camber. I have experienced, when lowering Type 1 VWs, the creation of significant negative camber on the rear wheels. I suppose the R5 suspension is not susceptible to this (front or rear).

I currently own this one and can tell you that it's near impossible to drive like this around Sussex! I want to get it back to how it should be but need to find a way to tension the torsion bar and also fix the clutch as that went last night

Derek at Renospeed might be able to help you there Ben. Good to hear it exists as well.

Just got off the phone to Paul and it looks very positive that the little 5 should be back as my daily car very soon

Back