Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

heater blower and rear demister stopped working while driving :(

Londoncaveman

Enthusiast
Hello
While I was enjoying a little drive this evening, my blower and rear demister stopped working on my 1980 r4 tl.
I have checked the fuse box and all seems well.
Any suggestions ?

Many thanks
joe

When you say "all seems well" did you just check the fuse was in one piece? May be worth checking you are actually getting juice to the terminal on the fuzebox- maybe one of the connectors on the back is loose or corroded- with a test bulb i.e. a sidelight bulb on a lead. one end on the connector or fuze and the other via the bulb to earth.

Very common for fuse holder to corrode slightly and then resistance cause end of fuse to melt and lose connection

I see you're in London; I'm in north London (Barnet) and am an ex-mechanic, who kept all his tools & equipment upon cessation of working.... If I can help then PM me.

Thanks Pepper i will try that as i haven't yet will keep you updated as been so busy today living the rat race lifestyle in London .. need another drive in our reno 4 :)

Hi
I have re checked the fuse box as you suggested and found a couple of the brass fuse holders we a little loose for the fuse to be sitting tightly.
A little squeeze while the fuses were out. Once back in again, all we flush and tight and the beauty is now working well . Many thanks all
Joe

Ps now need to sort out a small oil leak from beneath the Fuel filter area on the side of the engine. :)

Is the leak from beneath the fuel filter? I suspect you mean the oil filter, in which case, unless it's doing an impression of the Amoco Cadiz (substitute a name of any other large oil tanker that's sunk over the last 30 years; Torry Canyon etc. etc.) don't panic too much but keep an eye on the oil level. The filter should not be more than hand tight, so if you can tighten it by hand, do so & it might stop the leak.

Good morning
I will check further and let you know as it was just beneath the fuel filter on the side of the engine and it is a small leak after the engine has been running for a bit.
Thanks joe

• 20141214_152607.jpg
    20141214_152607.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 2
I see what mean. Joe! The leak look like it's coming from behind the fuel pump, as opposed to the fuel filter above the pump. It could be oil leaking from the gasket where the pump is mounted onto the engine block. It could also be weeping from the rocker cover, but it looks as if the leak's too far down the block for that. Whichever it is, you need to investigate the cause sooner rather then later, because if there's petrol involved, it might go BANG.......

Back