Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

4L International 2015

Excellent news! We've booked a B&B in Thenay too as well as a surprisingly cheap Brittany Ferries crossing so it's all systems go. Need to give the van a good going through in the next couple of months.

Well I can't let you all go without me! Need to get my skates on and book. Don't think we'll be camping this time because baby, but we'll see. Anyone got travel plans yet from the northern part of Britain?

Tom, We're leaving Lancashire Thursday late afternoon and probably sort a Travel Lodge or something for the night then its an 0800 ferry from Portsmouth to Le Havre on Friday morning which arrives about 1100 French time so should allow a moderately relaxed drive from there to Thenay.

Interestingly, Brittany Ferries Portsmouth - Le Havre worked out £90 more than P&O Dover - Calais but saves a couple of hours of driving and about 100 miles too.

That's the way i will be going Portsmouth - Le Havre but not sure yet when it will be yet probably Friday crossing also.

Well, that's the ferry booked, Plymouth-Roscoff for the 15th, overnight accommodation in Roscoff and campsite enroute to Thenay also done. I'm still trying to find a campsite, that isn't fully booked near Alpe d Huez so we can see Le Tour the following weekend.

Hi Jonathan T. Sorry I took so long to get back - I've been down to Spain for a couple of weeks or so.
Thanks for the pic - very similar to what I have in mind.

Thought about maybe one of these

tearlg1.jpg

It's pod type micro caravan - I was impressed with the build quality of the one I looked at but room wise it's really only for getting your head down in - the bed takes up all of the inside space and although it did look cosy and comfortable you do have to go outside even if it's only for a brew up - not must fun if there's a howling gale throwing everything at you while your waiting for the kettle to boil. So on reflection I think one of these would be better

20140804_164742_zpsmutjzafz.jpg

with a bit more room inside to shuffle about in

20140611143358-3311.jpg

regards Claude
IMG_20140923_131151x.jpg

Last edited:
Phone call from Brittany Ferries reveals that Portsmouth - Le Havre is changed to conventional ferry which doesn't arrive early enough on the Friday and that the fast ferry we are booked on now sails to Cherbourg so thats where we'll be arriving. :/ Bit of a shame as it adds an extra hours driving and arrives an hour later so probably won't get to Thenay until 6 on Friday. No real alternative though so thats what we'll be doing.

On the positive side, Premier Inn have an offer on at the moment so thats Thursday nights accomodation arranged!

Looks like tickets are on sale on 4LInternational.com too so thats the next thing to book!

Ive just bought my tickets on-the-line but there is no information about how to reserve the camping. Does anyone know?

Last time we had a choice of camping areas: Calm or Noisy.

I had to laugh as they ended up all the same.....

Anyway: Noisy for me and camping is the only way, As I seem to remember even before I had got my tent half up, I was invited by a family next door to help them finish off a 2 litre bottle of Ricard.

Glad I wasnt driving after all that shennanegans.

..............on reflection I think one of these would be better
View attachment 13081
with a bit more room inside to shuffle about in

A friend of mine is selling his, if you want one. I think it's the same as the one in the photo, or possibly a bit smaller. He's towed it with a Citroen Ami (similar to 2CV, with a different body). Excellent condition, with a big awning.

If we were going, we'd do the noisy camping too.

It's by far the best way to get the atmosphere.

Managed to book the ferry, what a pfaff... Wanted to go overnight Portsmouth to Caen both ways, but the £500 cost put me off. So Newhaven Dieppe it is! Should be in Thenay Friday late lunchtime...

Wanted to go overnight Portsmouth to Caen both ways, but the £500 cost put me off

Same here. We can't leave before Thursday morning so I fancied Caen overnight but just made it very expensive. Brittany Ferries fast ferry to Cherbourg is fairly sensibly priced but means arrival in Thenay late afternoon Friday but there wasn't really another option. Quite fancied Newhaven - Dieppe but arriving back at about 11pm I think and then driving home from there didn't really appeal!

Grrrrr! Thenay seems a far fetch for us this time -even if I have a faint hope still...:(
the TX 1400-motor is still at RS in Dieppe for rebuild and blueprinting,work is progressing
but to the very high standard they're working at it all takes time.

Block ready and painted,stressrelieved,all mounting-surfaces machined and in spec.lots of ancilleries
mediablasted (or soda-blasted.not sure which) also painted.All parts on hand both inter-
nal plus all "lettuce" like starter,carbs
compl.ignition,alternator,reinforced clutch-kit,cam-chain/cogwheels,valve-kits etc
Head reworked (gain 9-11hp) which likely will be nulled out when now reworked new
pistons and slightly meatier headgasket goes in.
Goal is to end at 8,1:1 comp for best possible torque
-I'm still in high hopes of getting it all together and ready for Th. but main thing is it'll be a killer when done,
so might have to operate under radar in old volvort.....bringing 96 proof norw.moonshine:drunk:so might still b
able to convince y'all volvort IS one-off 4L......-R.

Hi there Reida, as the kids say these days, sounds "wicked". Looks like its going to be a serious bit of kit though. Good luck, and really hope you and your good lady make it to Thenay.

Regards Brian.

Back