Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Im taking my Renault 4 to Scandinavia

Sprackers

Enthusiast
Yup from Southern Spain to Scandanavia but I was wondering, apart form the obvous ie snow tyres, can anybody suggest some winter modifications that I will need?

I know its summer time now but better get cracking....

Cheers

Sprackers
Thenay here we come.

Can you still get the extra-thick heater matrix they did for Scandinavia? They also did wipers for the lights at one point. And plastic doohickeys to shield the exposed door hinges.

I know that Scandinavian R4 had bigger heater matrix but not sure are they available now.
Definitely you should check is your heating working

Check freezing point of your coolant, eventually you can lower oil grade in engine for easier cold start. But about oil, some Scandinavian members on this forum could say some more advice.

I see that scandinavian cars have double headlamps (first standard from factory, second mounted aftervards) for night drive

Also know that some of guys that went on ride to Nordkapp in 2CV used tires with spikes.
They insulated whole car for better cabin temperature

Take pictures and write us your experiences, please!

Brilliant thanks

Heater matrix, Oil and about the lights are you saying I need more lights on the back?

Now tyres Im on the case already with spikey tyres.

According to my factory user manual recommendations are:
1. normal temperature (does not say what temp that is) use oil 15W40 or 20W40 or 20W50
2. temp -10°C use oil 15W40 or 10W30
3. temp -20°C use oil 5W20 or 10W30
All oils must be API SE norms.

Personally, using 10W40 oil and living in climate from -5 to 40°C through year. And car is working fine...no oil lost between oil change (every 5000 km) and could not find any wear in cylinder liners when removed cylinder head.
Only noticed little heavier cold start in winter.....But find solution for that problem also. Change oil before winter and heavy cold start is gone.
Use to do 10000km per year with R4...so change oil twice a year. before winter and before summer.

Here in Croatia we have lot of tourist from Sweden and many of them have those light in front.
At back did not notice any additional light.

Fantastisk Petak. I will change the oil before winter and change oil to a lower temp oil. I will look at gettting more lights for the front.

Hi,
I have lived in Sweden for three years.

The extra lights are not mandatory by law, but useful when driving in deep snow.
For the motor and easy starting it's useful to have a motor heater in the winter.
Further up north you will need winter tires with spikes.
Down south in Skåne just good winter tyres will suffice.

In the summer you will not have any problems with driving a 4L. No additional modifications are needed.

Hi Harbourseal

Thats where I am going...Sweden....

Great info, I was wondering if I needed studded but it sounds like good snow tyres will do if I stay around Stocky.

You mention a motor heater. Is that the same as a Heater Matrix as mentioned earlier in this thread?

Cheers

Sprackers

Hi there,

No a motor heater is a heating device inside the engine. You hook it up to a 220 volt source and it warms up the engine. Than it starts easier and the oil will be not as thick. It reduces motor damage due to bad lubrication. A pre heated engine runs smoother in cold conditions.

The heater matrix is your cabin heater. De radiator might have been a bit bigger for the Scandinavian market.

I lived close to the Norwegian border. At roughly the same height as stocky (Stockholm?) Since Stockholm is near the sea it might be not as cold as close to Norway in Värmland. But I do think you need studded winter tires to over there.

Swedes do not throw salt on their roads to keep them free of snow and ice.
When it snows the snow ploughs come out. They scrape the lose snow away and behind them they spray sand on the road. That sand freezes in to the hard top layer of iced up snow and will give you some grip. The studs in the tires give you some extra grip. Studded tires are allowed from October to April. In other words I had two sets of tires.

Briliant....I will have to get a engine heater then. and as for tyres I can get studded as well no porblem here. €25 for two. Do I need all studded tyres by law or just the front wheel drive two.?

Back