Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Car from the year you were born

Mike313

Enthusiast
Not necessarily a Renault question but here goes. I was thinking it would be nice to have a car that was in production on the year of my birth (or perhaps even a car that was launched in the year you were born, but that would narrow the choice quite a bit). In my case that's 1954 so unfortunately it would not be an R4. In my case, maybe a Traction Avant (what a beautiful car) or, if it had to be one launched in 1954, an Austin Westminster. What car would you choose?

Well, I'd have chosen the Renault 17, but that was only launched in '71, two years too late ... so I'd say ... Renault 16 :)

I'd have to get an older R4 than I currently have!

Here's a photo of my beautiful Mom and our dog, Santa, taken in Rhodesia. And also the car that my parents owned when I was born in 1953. Please don't work out how old I am now!:o

For some reason I seem to remember that it was a Humber. Anyone know if I'm correct?
mom1.jpg

Mojobaby sorry your wrong, its either an Austin A40 Somerset, or it could be its slightly larger brother the Hampshire...I think the detail of the trim under the main grill is the givaway.
Google images of both and you should be able to tell the difference.

It's the Austin A70 Hampshire. Those must be rare these days.

My Rodeo was built in 1972. I think that's the only car I've owned that was built the year I was born but the R5 was launched that year. I prefer the pre-1974 cars as they are tax free.

Mojobaby sorry your wrong, its either an Austin A40 Somerset, or it could be its slightly larger brother the Hampshire...I think the detail of the trim under the main grill is the givaway.
Google images of both and you should be able to tell the difference.

Yes you're correct, definitely not a Humber! However, looking at the Google photos, I would even say that it's a Austin A70 Hereford. The Hampshire has a partition in the back side window, dividing it in two.
I just wish my Dad had moth-balled it and put it in the garage for me to find later
800px-Austin_A70_Hereford_at_Weston_Park.JPG

i agree so sad as all modern cars look the same now whether they are English or European :(.

My first "old" car, as opposed to just transport, was an A40 Somerset...£60 from the local scrappy, but that was in 1981! Nearly 200 cars latter and I'm still as daft.

I have to choose among Renault 18, Citroen Visa, Fiat Ritmo, Triumph TR8, Simca Horizon...how boring...so I will choose a 1st generation GTL instead!

I don't believe that there are many who will follow me on this, but one of my sick, guilty automobile pleasures was released the year I was born (1980). The second generation Cadillac Seville.
1980_cadillac_seville-pic-3960747174341801215.jpeg

Well I was born right at the end of 1988, but here's my favourite car from 1989, the MG Maestro Turbo.

IMG_0432.jpg

1948 Lanchester Ten Saloon would satisfy me.

Although, that's a lovely MG Maestro above.

The Montego Diesel Estate was the finest booze and bacco smuggler's car ever ....

....( so I've been told )

I'm born in 1989, it could be one of the latest R4s... or something different.
In 1989 had been launched some very nice cars, such as the original Land Rover Discovery, the Opel (Vauxhall) Calibra, the Citroen XM, the BMW 8 Series and the Mazda MX5 "Miata".
And l choose the last one :D

Mazda-MX-5_Miata_Roadster-1989-wallpaper.jpg

Last edited:
Back