Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

how practical is an 850cc R4 ?

Snoopy, you may had driven a worn down or improperly set up 845cc example. They are excellent little motors (at least for what they had been made!).

The R14 engine was a Peugeot one, borrowed from the 104. A lot of jobs on it, from simple ones like spark plug replacement, to more involved like cylinder head removal were pure fun!!

I think its a great little engine :) It plodders happily along all day without getting too hot. It feels powerful enough for now-a-day traffic and is somewhat economical too. Ive travelled 300km's with three other guys (around 340 kg's all in all) at it was only a bit iffy starting at a red-light on a hill (12-16 %) :)

The 850 is a great little engine - my son drives from Uni to home in his each weekend and averages 115kph and about 6 litres per 100km. No problem at all in traffic as it pulls pretty well. I don't see that much a difference between our GTL and his TL.

And with folding seats, 4 seat belts, tons of space all around and a low boot loading bay its just as practical as all r4's :) Really suitable for a uni student (i'm one too)

Back