Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

What I am doing!

Now to spark off a huge debate....the truth is out... That little lever on the left of the dash wiggles this little stick in thin air.... NOW I know what it's for... It's for budding learner drivers of an R4 sitting in the passenger seat to get used to the gear change...and nothing to do with ventilation.... I mean that's just rubbish

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 3
A great big lump to weld onto Womble ...inner wings still attached!

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 0
Thankfully (and this time) I have listened to the words of wisdom from Paul and Simon. I've not gone mad hacking away at Womble's body but taken it step by step. Now the inner wings are off its clear which parts are ok and which parts need cutting out. The near side front Bulkhead is terrible hence the cut away section. The offside is good apart from being very bumpy from some previous repair. This side quarter panel has been replaced by a Bodyshop in the past. I suspect early on in Womble's life. It's not an overlay panel but a complete wrap over section spot welded to the tubular frame just behind. Exactly as per original. It's all good except I need to take some
accurate measurements and also check alignment as the cill section is a little low in relation to the quarter panel. Feeling a bit more upbeat again now I'm getting my head round it all ☺️

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 3
Well it's been slowing down since... Lots of thinking and fettling to get the shapes right. Very satisfying though... Big hole no longer

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 0
My shiny bits☺️ Looking like Darth vaders latest helmet

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 2
Thanks Bobble.... Was it you or do you know who wanted the boot lid hinges where it meets the gutter? See my separate post

This is slow job (bodywork) but every second spend on it is worth afterwards.

A moments break from bodywork... It's good to stop and oggle the shiny bits I have ready. Aerocoat at St olaves Norfolk did an incredible job. So I'm considering colours. I started out with a turquoise . Pastel turquoise to be precise. Then a dark grey white for the wheels. I've now moved toward a much lighter turquoise version in the form of BS 16 C 33 with wheels (now done and looking splendid) in RAL 9002 grey white. Which is pretty much the colour of Sweet Pea caravans roof. The slightly turquoise blue should tone well with the sharp yellow of Sweet Peas bottom half . The BS 16 C 33 is on the left next to the burgundy leatherette cutting for the interior. Probably this tartan on the door cards

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 1
Ow!! Check ME OUT! !!! I'm back on the Scene Everything had ground to a halt as you may have noticed..... That dreaded word
W e l d I n g ............I realised getting someone in to do it would be hugely expensive and trying to fabricate parts for a one hit weld job was impossible as parts had to be shaped welded then another section tackled so all inter dependant. Solution ..... Learn yerself welding.. And so I did! Borrowed s no gas mig from a neighbour that got me off the starting blocks then bought s gas type. Bingo Sunday afternoon I had a complex weld all together and even managed butt joins. Lots of help from Malcolm's pages and you tube helped hugely. Plus drawing on past experience with a braze welder. Hopefully I can get back on track as engine and gearbox done and Simon (renault reborn) will have chassis done by end of the monthimage.jpg

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 2
I am having problems with my welder... worked well with flux (no gas) but not when I bought gas and a conversion kit...
Anyway, trying the same way! Good luck!

Getting the hang of butt welds now.....oddly the special noise when everything is working well with the arc sounds like a Star Wars light sabre rather than frying bacon

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 4
Oh Ar ...... You've caught me showing off now :ashamed:

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 5
I am having problems with my welder... worked well with flux (no gas) but not when I bought gas and a conversion kit...
Anyway, trying the same way! Good luck!

Have you changed the polarity round to the welding torch?

Have you changed the polarity round to the welding torch?
Sure, the problem turned out to be a too week current to the welder... old electric system, put a thick wire from the counter and all is running fine.
Even changing to the 0.8 wire helped a lot.
Having good time trying and learning...

Back