Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

BREAKING 2 COMPLETE CARS

Apprentice

pre-moderated
BREAKING – TWO COMPLETE RENAULT 4s.

It’s regrettable the way things have turned out, but I have to be realistic and make an effort to cut my losses.

I shall begin to dismantle both my Renault 4s on 14th August. That’s a Friday. All parts will be dry stored. Yes, even chassis and floors. Both are low mileage and free of corrosion.

By mid-September, All unsold components will be shelved and availability frozen until January 2016.

Driving these brave little cars around for 2 months has provided great joy, and my only grief is wasting £40 each on M.o.T.s

I wish to keep the trailer until all the heavy stuff has been sold, then that will also be available. Adjustable track on ramps for: R4; Twingo; Clio etc

Please don’t clutter this forum with enquiries. Electronic mail will reach me at:

REN004@hotmail.com …. that’s RENzerozero4

Thank you,

dave
SN858152.JPG SN858242.JPG SN858030.JPG

Quite sad. Unfortunately I may be in a position where I may not be retaining my 4. However, if it doesn't sell, I, as an enthusiast wouldn't be tempted to suggest breaking it into pieces.

The market has recently been flooded with 4s being brought into the country and immediately being sold on. True R4 enthusiasts will not immediately flock to buy a car just because a vendor threatens to break it, nor buy parts from such a car when everything is freely available brand new.

Quite sad. Unfortunately I may be in a position where I may not be retaining my 4. However, if it doesn't sell, I, as an enthusiast wouldn't be tempted to suggest breaking it into pieces.

The market has recently been flooded with 4s being brought into the country and immediately being sold on. True R4 enthusiasts will not immediately flock to buy a car just because a vendor threatens to break it, nor buy parts from such a car when everything is freely available brand new.

I have to say I agree with these sentiments.
Sorry, but think again.

Wasn't going to reply but what the heck....

I'm in full agreement with R18 - if you did break them, theres even some parts I'd be interested in but on principle won't bother. Besides, most new parts are easy enough to source anyway so I suspect most parts buyers will either want them cheap or are happier to take them from a genuine scrapper.

The market for old Renaults isn't like old VWs or Fords and there just isn't the money in them despite the fact that prices for R4s have gone up considerably in the last five years. Most R4 buyers seem pretty clued up and I suspect most hereabouts would be happy to source a car in France / Spain / wherever and bring it in themselves and save a whole load of money and have a bit of an adventure in the process. Your asking prices don't seem wildly unreasonable so you either need to accept that it will take a bit longer to sell them or reduce the prices - even with a further £500 off they will still net you considerably more than they would if you break them.

Despite the increase in prices, there still isn't a massive market for them - to expect to turn them around within a couple of months is optimistic at best and too many people have thought they could make a few quid by importing something from France, bumping the price and selling it on. Those who just want an R4 and can't be bothered to get one from Europe will in general want it to be UK registered - I understand that its extra hassle for you but the fact they are still foreign registered doesn't help them sell to someone who is not perhaps as a hardcore enthusiast as some of us here.

And then posting here that as nobody wants them you are breaking them well I have no polite words for my opinion.

Last edited:
Pram, toys and throw - are words that readily spring to mind

Hey! Why not consider weddings with the white car?
Caution, you will need to impose a weight limit on the bride or those fat tyres will rub the wheel arches away!
She will also be required to sit on the opposite side to the fuel tank!

Good Luck from slim Alice xx

You'll want an F4 van if the bride exceeds the weight limit - the F4 has stiffer suspension. For the extraordinarily tall bride the F4 also has a giraffe flap. The only problem would be the lack of rear doors which might make it difficult to get in wearing a wedding dress. I'll try it and feed back.

I wonder if the selling strategy has been a complete success. Through countless threads and posts the cars were initially UK registered, then they weren't, they were in Portugal, now in UK but we don't know where. Previously they were not MOT'd now they are? Are they really? The price is £4000 each? (Compared the the £3000 ones failing to sell on eBay.) Then they are going to be sold only in little pieces. Many members might be confused by now. Perhaps we should rush to pay well over market value to save the poor dears from being scrapped.

There is another snag with trying to sell Renault 4s on a Renault 4 forum. From Montey Python Holy Grail:

S: Well, I'll ask 'im, but I don't think 'e'll be very keen-- 'e's already got
one, you see?
A: What?
Lancelot: He says they've already *got* one!
A: (confused) Are you *sure* he's got one?
S: Oh yes, it's ver' naahs.

Have you thought about eBay for a quick sale? Or slower sales at Car and Classic or the Renault owner clubs?

The trouble with breaking cars is you'll sell a few bits that turn out to be difficult to get hold of, then the rest sits in a pile until you end up throwing it away. You'll get £500 max and it will be more time consuming and hassle than you seem able to cope with.

Cannot say any more than what people have already said, especially "throwing things out the pram" sums it up, just seems a scare tact tic to get people to buy them rather breaking them which i don't think any sane person would do, personally i would reduce the price just so others could enjoy them and also keep them one the road, although they do look in good condition there only worth what you can sensibly get.

Some so called classic cars attract people with more money than sense Renault 4 owners are far more likely to have neither money nor sense
If there was plenty of sensible Renault 4 fans we would all buy the best one we could afford but the dream is always to do up the Rusty 1one which we have become emotionally attached to
Some of the borderline cars are selling to people thinking along the lines of being able to do them up themselves without realising what they're letting themselves in for

Wasn't going to reply but what the heck....

I'm in full agreement with R18 - if you did break them, theres even some parts I'd be interested in but on principle won't bother. Besides, most new parts are easy enough to source anyway so I suspect most parts buyers will either want them cheap or are happier to take them from a genuine scrapper.

The market for old Renaults isn't like old VWs or Fords and there just isn't the money in them despite the fact that prices for R4s have gone up considerably in the last five years. Most R4 buyers seem pretty clued up and I suspect most hereabouts would be happy to source a car in France / Spain / wherever and bring it in themselves and save a whole load of money and have a bit of an adventure in the process. Your asking prices don't seem wildly unreasonable so you either need to accept that it will take a bit longer to sell them or reduce the prices - even with a further £500 off they will still net you considerably more than they would if you break them.

Despite the increase in prices, there still isn't a massive market for them - to expect to turn them around within a couple of months is optimistic at best and too many people have thought they could make a few quid by importing something from France, bumping the price and selling it on. Those who just want an R4 and can't be bothered to get one from Europe will in general want it to be UK registered - I understand that its extra hassle for you but the fact they are still foreign registered doesn't help them sell to someone who is not perhaps as a hardcore enthusiast as some of us here.

And then posting here that as nobody wants them you are breaking them well I have no polite words for my opinion.

Hello Lobster,

Allow me to take the liberty of modifying your suggestion regarding individuals going abroad to make their own vehicle purchase. I’m sure many do, returning with various marques according to their taste. I would recommend that the priorities be reversed. Go out principally as an adventure, and view your “import” as a bye product of the trip. I guess it’s massively satisfying to bring “your own” back to Britain. And as the Apprentice has pointed-out in earlier posts, the paper-work and application to register, is not rocket science!

Going “out” can be more tricky for those in full time employment, so may have to be integrated with annual holidays. If I was considering the above action, I’d make an effort to “do the maths” in advance. Time could be running-out. Today’s pound sterling=1.42 euros. Christmas Day 2011 saw the pound hit a low of €1.06 [B.o.E]. We know to our cost. Hubby and I were on the Costa Blanca, so by the time our plastic-card provider took their grubby little handling charge, we were lucky to get parity! At the time, retired ex-pats were bleating-on about having made the right decision to take their State Retirement Pension in euros. I wonder how they feel today with €1 buying a shade over 70p, prompting thousands to return “home”. Shattered dreams – can’t be a nice feeling.

Back to imports: nothing worrying in the figures:

Lying Air and SleazeyJet have pledged to fly us anywhere for a tenner. Choose a car [or van] off the internet and match it with your destination airport. A well presented example around 3000 euros equates to £2100 plus around £30 handling fee. Road fuel home must be well under one pound per litre at today’s R.o.E. Sea crossings may be adversely affected by current issues at Calais, putting pressures on availability and prices. I guess the Spanish routes are worth considering [Santander – Portsmouth] £329 for a car 5mtrs or under without loaded roof-rack is reasonable. Back on UK soil; proud as Punch; green channel – nothing to declare [not worth mentioning the twenty cases of red wine for our own consumption]; roll onto the drive a couple of hours later in the glorious English sunshine. But, like most members of this forum, I already have a Renault 4, and those of us even airing the subject of self-importing, find ourselves leaning against an open door.

Blessings,

Alice .

I've had R4s for years and have a whole shed full of various bits. Most of them have been difficult to shift.

The problem is that most pieces for later R4s (say 1980 on) are still available new from Renault in France. This particularly applies to LHD models. So breaking a car for spares will simply create a new and more intractable problem. Ultimately you'll end up taking most of the spares to the tip. Ebaying car spares is a terrible fiddle because you have to wrap and post everything.

If you have the storage space I'd advise selling the cars by whatever means, intact. Remember (this is with my accountant's hat on) that the money you have already spent on the cars to buy and repatriate them is GONE (in accountancy jargon, a "sunk cost"). So if you sell them you will in fact be will be BETTER OFF, even if the sale is for less than you originally paid, as the alternative is no sales proceeds at all or a shedload of unsaleable spares.

If you've announced your "breaking policy" in order to scare someone into buying the cars, fine — but don't be hamstrung by the idea that to make a sale below your original purchase price is to "make a loss". That's already happened. Ask an accountant friend to explain the difference between loss, profit and "contribution".

Thanks dave for letting me know that "All unsold components will be shelved and availability frozen until January 2016"
When i crank up my 1981 model (in January 2016) with a whining heater, sticky windows, lumpy seats etc, etc,. I'll remember this kind offer. But somehow i think i'll find popping out to my local scrapyard (in Portugal) more fun...and maybe cheaper.
Thank God it's Friday Jobbins xx

Maybe I'm missing something here, or having a senior moment perhaps, but I cannot understand why someone would even contemplate breaking not one but two perfectly good cars. Just sell them, and let two new owners enjoy them.
There you are, I've had me little rant.:confused:

Some so called classic cars attract people with more money than sense Renault 4 owners are far more likely to have neither money nor sense
If there was plenty of sensible Renault 4 fans we would all buy the best one we could afford but the dream is always to do up the Rusty 1one which we have become emotionally attached to
Some of the borderline cars are selling to people thinking along the lines of being able to do them up themselves without realising what they're letting themselves in for

Hiya Paul,
just thought that the readers may like to see something they could "become emotionally attached to"..... a trailer tent and towing vehicle under a grand sterling. Might even be suitable for anyone wishing to join Sprackers heading in the Naples direction this September [Does anyone know .... Aug 6, 2015]:

http://www.custojusto.pt/lisboa/ligeiros-passageiros/renault-4l-atrelado-auto-tenda-17122118

I ran the text through Google Translate:
19 84 - once known as the girl eyelashes. Renault 4 partially restored sheet, but the Missing still some work (level of exterior paint) The inner level has bench seats front to back (74 of 19) ceiling and doors lined with purple fabric and white polka dots. It has columns. Radio. Led ceiling with blue tape bind to open doors and button. Gauges temperature, rotation, and amperage. USB for charging tlm. I mixer on the back of the van (not included or negotiable). It spotlights. Buttons for the air horn button to turn radiator fan, and connect amplifier rear sound Sony 600 watts (negotiable). And for the same columns. (All custom) It has some extras like the roof rack, trailer hitch on the same working. Spare wheel, customized paint on a personal level. Repair the engine level in one of the best mechanics (R4Team) of Famalicão. Where was replaced gearbox, transmissions, valve settings and checkout the rest of the mechanical equipment. Mechanical state think is impeccable carburetor zenith thirty-two installed (possibility of taking the original twenty-eight). Ready to ride inspection until October. Safe and everything .. Name change with the purchaser ... Seeing conjunction with trailer (self tent) 2 room double rooms in the middle, as the water pump. (Has no window at the back) was removed and cooked with other tissue. They can see in the pictures included. (There are always trading) Change preferably by caravan. Respond to email, SMS and calls

Provided chassis and floor are solid, surely, this little darling would fulfil some Forum member's dream?

best regards as always,
dave

You seem to be taking much stronger medication these days and are fitting in quite well with most of us here
Do all your post now get moderated by malcolm first or is this another example of your sense of humour
Keep taking the tablets and it's a yes from me

Back