Converting LHD 4 L van to RHD

converting LHD 4 L van To RHD

• conversion

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • LHD

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Ringo

Hi Guys I am hoping to get some help in regards to converting my 1982 4 L van to RHD. I have a donor RHD vehicle so I am just wondering is it straight forward to swap the dash and steering colum and pedals etc over, or is there more structural work involved?

Yes for my vote...if you are one of the elite forum members who can weld or know a man who can...then all is doable. Not that I have done it myself but in process of resto and working on bulkhead at the mo. It's not symmetrical so a bit of work to modify the bulkhead is required and possibly engine parts that may be in the way .

I'd say stick with LHD. Parts for LHD cars are slightly easier to get for one thing :¬)

I'd say stick with LHD. Parts for LHD cars are slightly easier to get for one thing :¬)
Thanks guys , I have a rusted out RHD van I can use for the dash and steering etc. I was wondering is there much in the way of structural changes ie welding and panel replacement to do.

I would convert it if you have the time and the space. The best thing to do is to cut out the right hand side of the bulkhead out of the old van, and weld it over the existing bulkhead of the new van. That will give you all the mouldings/holes etc that you require to adapt the steering, and foot pedals etc. The best way to do this is to cut the section out by grinder, take off the existing spot-welded flange by drilling out the spot-welds. Then weld it through the drilled holes, plus drill and weld any more you feel are needed. This will replicate the spot-weld effect on your bulkhead. You will need to take the wings and inner wings off both vehicles to get the full panel, and make it more like a RHD bulkhead.

Is your hand brake floor mounted or beside the steering column? Easier to stick to the floor mounted as you will require a shaped piece of steel welded to the right hand front chassis member, a mirror image of what may be present on your LHD chassis, to take the bowden part of the brake cable.

It will be a lot of work, but worth it as I do have visibility issues at times driving my LHD F4, and given the opportunity, I would convert.

I converted my yellow peril 2 right hand drive I fitted Renault 5 mark 1 pedal box as I wanted to gain a servo for the brakes at the same time can do more photos if you're interested but it was a long time ago you will need the Loom which plugs in behind the dash obviously different main reason for me converting was because when I fitted the 1600 engine the steering column was in the way

• 20150606_162339.jpg
    20150606_162339.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 1
Is your yellow peril a factory plein air or one you've knocked up yourself?
A mate and I have making one on our to do list. We have the conversion instructions and diagrams but no dimensional information to go with.
I was wondering if yours could be used as a 'remote template'.

Brilliant topic and tips. I wish I possessed the mechanical skills to join-in !!

thanks guys

Back