Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Another fuel economy challenge

gpovanman

More than a 4 is excess!
Drove from Switzerland to Spain and back on my hols again, and I just wanted to see if I could cross France from Geneva to La Jonquera on the Spanish border without fuelling. I could. Viamichelin quotes the distance as being 630 kms, but my speedo, which reads a bit fast said 674 kms. I cannot calculate the fuel economy accurately for the following reason. I do not know how much a R4 hold when filled right up to the neck, and I forgot to fill it right up to the neck when I got into Spain, but I am chuffed to bits with it!!! Just kept up with the trucks and did the same on the way back.

The book quotes the fuel tank capacity as 34 litres. Though I ran out of petrol recently and only manages to put 33 litres in.

So that's 5L/100km or more than 50mpg. That's fantastic!

Since the price of fuel has rocketed in the last few months, I have started to drive like an old fart again. I have not gone to the same extremes as some of the folks on ultramiling.com, but I have seen me getting way over 100 miles more out of a tank. On my last fill, I got 59.02 per gallon, so I am more than happy that it. My next challenge, see if I can get that extra 1 mpg to take it over 60. And this is on mixed driving, not all of my miles are on A roads or motorways.

I'm driving like an old fart too. It's brilliant. You'd be amazed at how many Audi drivers I can annoy on a single trip. Genetle acceleration and 50mph maximum, but most of my trips are fairly short so I don't think I'm managing 60mpg. 50mpg maybe.

I filled up today, but the last time would have been about 3 weeks ago.

Its BMW and Cayenne drivers over here, but where I am living now, I can coast at least 20% down from my house with the engine off, when I am on the back road. When I come back up the motorway, I can take it gentle. One thing that did alarm me a bit when I read that ultramiling site, is the fact that they tailgate as much as they do. Whilst I like to have a giggle at the same time as I save fuel, this tailgating lark seems a tad daft, to say the least

Almost 60mpg is pretty good, is this in a GTL?. My wee TL is averaging around 56MPG in and out of Edinburgh, mixed driving, mostly 45mph on "A" routes then traffic negotiation in town. I find the traffic moves around 35 to 45mph in the mornings so the Audi's hold me up!.

I get around 45 mpg in my GTL. The bits in London are slow but as soon as I'm out of London, my right foot gets heavy. A lot of driving I do is on motorways or A roads, so the car is pushed quite hard.

PS Has anyone seen 100 mph (or 160 km/h)?!?

Is this close enough?

Friends347.jpg

Friends350.jpg

More over here...
http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1435&highlight=1185km

Bravo! I'm getting there John just another 5 or 6 km/h....

Tailwind, downhill and some slipstreaming......

Mine is a 1990 Clan, and I managed to squeeze 61.81 mpg on my last fill. Mind you, even the ultramilers don't drive like me....!

No, this was a full tank job. I.E. this was an average over 400ish miles. I have to say that driving down to the airport where I work from home is mostly downhill, and I do a lot of coasting with the engine off. But I still have to drive up the same hill coming back!

I once freewheeled my Vaux. Viva (long time ago) with engine off in Derbyshire Dales. When I restarted the engine, still on the move, there was a loud 'crack'. I was alarmed, but things seemed ok. It was almost certainly due to the cold slug of water in the radiator suddenly being pumped into the still-hot engine. I had been lucky. Never again!

With alot of headwind some of the way, two persons + luggage and everything from city-driving to dual carriageway racing: It went 18 km/l (a 845cc model) over 400km of driving. Thats 5.5l/100km and 51mpg. Im satisfied with that, so now I'm throwing a roofrack on top to screw it all up!

Thats a nice result of 5,5L/100km. I wonder if other R4 engines were more or less economic ?

Maybe its just running lean, since the carb fiddling in march... But it seems to run fine, and last time i checked the plugs, they were nice n' brown :)
I wonder what it went on the last trip this monday, with about 230km and a ferrytrip

Back