Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rt side front door.

tim1casa

Enthusiast
I took my van down to Spain in the Spring, and while I was there managed to crush my offside front door against a van bumper parked against me. I can't get to bang it out due to it being low down, and I really don't want to fill the door with isopon. So I would rather pick up a second hand door if someone out there has one for sale. I could even pick one up in France early next year as I will be taking it out again in late January.

I bought a set of new front wings from Melun Retro Passion on the way down, so it will need re-spraying anyhow. I never manged to get it sign written, but I think I will after a re-paint. I have a 20' container on my olive grove that I use as a paint shop. A tractor driven compressor provides air for sand blasting and spraying. And the weather is a little drier!

I have both front doors off of this car still in my lock up. All my oringel doors part from teh back drivers passed blasting and have been okayed for paint.
Give us what you like for it if you want.
Based in Poole
10176173_618197738301245_2491405492346805430_n.jpg

You'd be better off if the doors on good condition to put some filler in it, take it back to bare metal, fill it and sand back and it'll be fine.

I have got a red door presumably you have got internal hinges on your car as they changed in 82 and you don't state what year your vehicle is
Edit thinking about it have you spoke to a dent magician they can deal with this sort of repair as have got special tools to get into tight spaces

They can even do impossible double skin areas by spot welding on spikes which they then pull out using a hydraulic rig. Then the spikes are ground off. Lots of modern cars have this problem as they have 0.5mm skins like an R4.

Thank you guys for all your positive responses. It is just this which makes this forum so special. I am busy at the moment until Tuesday, then I think Iwill pop a couple of photos on. Regarding the hinges Paul, the other incident was a gale of wind, not uncommon in Catalunya, "blew" the door out of my hand and over extended it. As a result the hinges are not closing the door as they should. Real pain as they don't look to easy to bend back. Now the rain leaks into the van.

Still it drove to Spain and back carrying a serious load either way.

So what year is your van so I can have a look if you still want door
As it not in my own lockup but I have got to go and get some rodeo parts out of storage there soon

My van is a bit of a mix. Essentially it is a later version of the F4, but the door came off a 1982 GTL. As did the engine and chassis! In fact it still is registered as a GTL. I have never got around to getting the "type" changed from 5 door saloon to 3 door van. Not difficult to do apparently. And nobody has as yet questioned it, in spite of going through 3 MOT's since I converted it! I just need to take it to the nearest DVLA station somewhere in Ipswich. Life just too busy at the moment.

Anyhow, I would certainly find a second hand door a better option than repairing the existing. So I would be very grateful for a good door, either from you or from Eoynteenie. I never trust repairs to withstand corrosion as well as an undamaged area will do. The whole van is going to have to be re-sprayed as it is. I am not sure that bright yellow was the best colour in the first instance, but it is certainly known locally, LOL! I think I might add some black to the lower portion of the wings and body to give it a bit of contrast when I do it up again next year.

I have no idea as to a reasonable price for a door.

I will go and check the condition of my door and get back to you this week
Think £40 sounds reasonable to me but not sure on distance between us for collection as not sure if I would trust courier
Reason for confirming year of your van was the hinges changed from external to internal 82 onwards

Well let us know Tim1case and i can pull the door out. Mr Reno is closer thou

The hinges are on the inside, albeit the top one on the Lt hand door will need pressing back to its' correct profile so the door doesn't leak when it rains. I will take it out to Spain again next January and pull it apart and respray it in my container. I had a friend do it for me before, and he really lost interest in it towards the end. Too much filler and not enough preparation. So I would love your door Paul. Do you have the restraining strap, as mine broke when the wind tore the door out of my hand. I have replaced it with rubber conveyor belt material, but it stretches too much to be of any good use. If you could send me a PM, I will arrange payment and pick up.

Many thanks Eoynteenie for offering to help. It just makes this site special to have so many people offering help and advice. One day I will make the Kent run, but at the moment it always clashes on a day that we are working.

Houston we may have a problem the door won't fit I must be going old and senile the door I have is for the wrong side can't remember what I did with the one that matched it maybe I sold it with my red van20150902_183857.jpg

Never mind. I'll have to get one off Eoynteenie. If that's OK with Eoynteenie!!!! I am away now til Monday, so I will get back on the case then. Many thanks everybody.

as long its a good one its ok with me. As I said, I 'hopefully' won't need it as my car's doors made it past soda blasting (part from the rear drivers was full of filler :( )
gf's father runs a transport company so might see if he can run it you for a small sum? Pm me Tim if you want it.

Back