Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1983 GTL up and running

John M

Enthusiast
I have noticed that many Renault 4's have names. Now being from up north in Yorkshire, and pretty grim,(I say this to keep people away and not overpopulate us) I was going to have no truck with this sort of personalisation and then my registration certificate finally arrived from the DVLC and I find that my imported LHD R4 has the registration number;

GFR 957 Y

It looks like I am going to have to call it Geoffrey! Such is life.

I got my first R4 in about 1972. 6 volts, quite slow, but a great car. Next a 74 reg and wonderful 12 volts. After this I had a couple more then I moved on to big cars for a big family. The Peugeot 505 7 seater estate was fab for 4 kids. I am now at that age when I can have a fun car again. I did consider a Jaguar XK8 but having driven an R4 again it was a no brainer. For fun it had to be the Renault.

I haven't collected the car yet. Possibly early December before I pick it up but worth the wait.

The only question left is how do I tell the wife we, sorry I, have a new toy?

John, That is simply amazing. I kind to share the same feeling once in a while.
Someone having the same communication issue with wife regarding a new toy. I thought it was only me, this far in Mexico City.!!!
Congratulations with your new R4.Enjoy

well now me and "Geoffrey" made it home. 220 miles in 5 hours. I used the satnav to make sure I didn't break any speed limits and noticed my speedometer is a little slow. What else did I notice? The GTL is somewhat more refined than I remember. It not only has self parking wipers, they are two speed as well. The seats are comfy and the heater works. At least one side of me was warm and the other was a bit chilly. I now need to increase the muscle mass in my right leg as a form of servo braking. Central locking is pretty good though since I can reach all the doors from my seat.
IMG_20151204_140603.jpg
Wife still not talking to me since I brought Geoffrey home. win win then!

Back