Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

AVO Adjustible Dampers for R4.

SteveC

MrToureteMasterSignwriter
Equidistant between Beaconsfield and Marlow (....High Wycombe )
Hi All.

I’ve been working with AVO Performance Suspension in Northampton over the last few weeks to put together some sensible dampers for R4.

They have been developed to operate correctly in reverse for the rears that extend in bump, and there is no problem with the horizontal fitting for the rear either.

All bushes and other fittings are all correct and they are now a direct fit as replacements.

Each damper is has 22 settings (Counted today...) My feeling is that my old 'standard' dampers were equivalent to about 4 'clicks' on the adjuster from full soft. So this gives you the opportunity to 'tune' your R4 to precisely how you would like it. At the full stiff setting the car is not excessively 'bumpy'. It actually feels very good.. almost like a 'proper car' my friend decided when we went out for a test drive after fitting them.

The dampers are adjustable on the car by way of a small knob. When its all fitted up you can reach the adjuster quite easily (Well you can on my F6, not sure how much arm space there is in the rear arches of a car.)

Have a look at the photos below. I’m seriously chuffed with these.

If anyone is interested in getting a set themselves, AVO have given these part numbers now so they are available as a regular product.

Your contact is Nigel Killerby at AVO UK.

sales@avouk.com
01604 708101
www.avouk.com

Front
DSC00470.jpg

Fitted..
DSC00473.jpg

IMG_2129.jpg

Rear
IMG_2125.jpg

IMG_2127.jpg

They do look good, what sort of price are they looking at for the set?

The website says £60 each. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with those Steve. Are you coming down to the R4 run in Kent 3rd May?

I finally got to speak to Paul my neighbour today and the Delphi shock absorbers are out of stock.

No current plans to come on the 3rd May (I didn't realise it was 3rd of may till I read that. I would be interested to come and give your driveway a try sometime though Malcolm if you think its a damper-buster...

Do you know if they can be rebuilt? Price sounds rather good.

Yes they can be rebuilt.

And yes, they are £60.. but be aware that is then +VAT. So they are £69 each.

Ill report back once ive done some milage on them. But my current feelings regarding them are all very positive.

Do pop in for a cup of tea at some point. I'm on the A428 past Turvey and am generally around. Wouldn't spend too much time trying to break the dampers on my driveway. It wouldn't take long, but it's an unfair test for the poor things.

A Big Thank You to SteveC and AVO

At last! :D A solution to the seemingly endless difficulties in sourcing appropriate shocks here in the UK and they are tuneable. I am assuming that the front/rear shocks are similar in dimension irregardless of the model or age of cars/vans and can be tweaked to suit . I don't think the price is too bad for high spec quality items which are'nt throw away and can be refurbished. :cool:

Its my understanding that they would all be the same regardless of year and model. But for the record, these fit my 1985 R4F6 perfectly. We made no effort to 'spec' mine specially as its a van, because I rarely use it as such. My van is now quite comfortably settled into its retirement, it just potters round town and occasionally goes to visit camp sites with some bikes and a tent in the back... Anyway, I understand that the Renault(DeCarbon) rear dampers are different damping rate for the van, but these AVO's are for the car (All you have to do is turn the knob if you need more stiffness, or want
more of the characteristic bouncyness....)

I certainly feel your pain with regard to finding sutable dampers for it though, I'd been trying on and off for a year to find something, and when the opportunity came along with AVO to work something out I went for it. Hopefully this will be a solution to a few peoples bouncy problems.

Well I said i'd report back when I'd done some miles, and I now have.

We've done several short trips with the van empty and its lovely. And now a 100 mile each way trip with 2 people, 2 bikes, a fridge loaded with beers and all the camping kit... at it was awesome for every mile of it.

Really pleased.

I don't suppose they have a distributor in Europe? It would appear they would be perfect for me. I've had some remarks about how low my R4 GTL was sitting while loaded with a period authentic tent, blacksmithing tools and forge and some bits of camping gear.

Now here's an old thread to resurrect! I've just ordered a set of these adjustable AVO dampers for my project & looking forward to playing around with the settings to see how the car responds.

Just need to find a rear ARB off a van next...!

I liked the idea that they made the van drive 'almost like a 'proper' car'

I don't have the van any longer, but it's owned now by a good friend and still going strong. Not done a high mileage since '09, but there have been no issues with the dampers. Hope they work out well for you Nick

Thanks for the email Steve, appreciate it.

I should have the shocks tomorrow, so will be fitting them over the weekend.

Will report back.

Trip made up to AVO and collected new shocks for front and rear for my 1984 F4 van.
Very helpful service.
TE378's for the front and modified TA170/110 for the rear. Total cost £288.

Shocks all fitted now. Cheated as I got the garage to do it whilst F4 was having it's MOT.
Ride back seemed smoother than before.
Will play about with settings to see difference.

Back