Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

New member from South Wales/Central Portugal

Dilwynsonchris

Enthusiast
image.jpg Hi all, I have just got a nice 1990 Renault 4 as my transport while I am in Portugal. I wanted a car there as I am spending more and more time on site trying to build an eco home for my future retirement. I run a Morris Minor in the UK and I could not face a modern car. I have only had the 4 a few days but so far the experience is all positive.

Bom dia, and well done - I live in Tomar and run a white 1981 on a daily basis ferrying bits and pieces for our old house renovation. There are plenty of 4's still here in Portugal (usually white!) and the occasional 4F van can be seen; I'm after one - so if you see one lurking in a shed do let me know. Andy

That's a coincidence. My place is also in Tomar. I will keep an eye out for you on the road next time I am over Andy. You are so right you do see 4s on the road there. That was partly my reason for going for one. I like the simple robust keep on going element to them. Cheers, Chris.

Yes - what a coincidence; next time you're toodling around, pop over to my gaffe in Junceira (opp the sports club). You'll be most welcome. cheerio andy

The next time I am over I will do that. By the way I spotted a Lhd French registered R4 Van on EBay last night ex postal service. Cheers, Chris.

Hey chaps,
this is cool. My partner and I live near Portimao. Still have a small bungalow in West Wales that we visit bi-annually. Renault 4s here near the coastal Algarve suffer from corrosion due to the Atlantic prevailing winds carrying minute saline particles. I've noticed it more last winter than in earlier years. Call in for coffee and Pastel Nata anytime............ Please choose a day when the missus is out............ she doesn't share my enthusiasm for funny shaped French classics. Hypocritical bitch is glad of the space when we go to the garden centre Ha Ha Haaa
regards, Dave

Hi Dave, small world eh. Look on the bright side. It would suffer a worse fate of corrosion if it was enduring what the Welsh coast could throw at it! Not to mention that new type of salt the local council spread on the road. Cheers,Chris

Bom dia, and well done - I live in Tomar and run a white 1981 on a daily basis ferrying bits and pieces for our old house renovation. There are plenty of 4's still here in Portugal (usually white!) and the occasional 4F van can be seen; I'm after one - so if you see one lurking in a shed do let me know. Andy

There is one in amadora for sale I´m not sure about condition and documents 800 €

SN858084.JPG
Yes, they’re everywhere. And we’re delighted to announce our new arrival. I jumped on the train at Portimao at 09:19 on Monday this week, changed a few times before arriving in sunny Leiria just after 5pm. Senior fare €19.

The trains were clean, full of passengers but no-one standing. Arrogance and greed prevent British Rail companies from copying this example. The following newscutting is from November 2009:

The UK's first £1,000 rail ticket has been described as "scandalous" and "appalling value" by opposition MPs.

The first-class return walk-up fare is from Newquay, in Cornwall to Kyle of Lochalsh, in the Scottish Highlands.

The Conservatives blamed "Labour's micromanagement of the railways", while the Lib Dems called the record fare "a very unwelcome landmark".

Apologies for getting political so early in the day. Now back to Renault 4s. My reason for journeying 400 kms ……… to view, and as it turned out, purchase our latest workhorse:

She looks great Dave. I like the wheels and roof rack. I would like to get one of those myself. A couple of my steel wheels have suffered bad corrosion around the valve holes. I will look to replace them some time in the future. Cheers,Chris.

I hear on good authority that the biggest stockist of used auto-parts in Portimao goes shopping in Spain every Friday evening. Returns next day with van dragging the ground. Not the same guy who crushed a complete R4 last month.............

nightmare!

There is one in amadora for sale I´m not sure about condition and documents 800 €[/QUOTE
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
graças a Deus e obigado o senhor Ironsavior - I've only just seen your reply. I'm 'stony broke' at the moment (as most artists are); and so i can;t really afford a 4F at the moment. So my 4L will have to carry on for a little longer, whilst i return to 'Work Island' (The Uk) and leave my beloved Portugal behind for the summer.
Thanks and adeus - Andre

Hello Paul,

I guess you have me confused with another R4 owner, although you can be forgiven, since both vehicles are very similar in colour. Features that distinguish:
No roof rack on my 4TL (although i'd love one)
Different wheels & reg. Number,

As always, best regards20160406_155354.jpg20160406_155700.jpg

Hi Neil
As we get older it is easy to confused but then as we are all already fairly mad I hope I am forgiven

Nothing to forgive mon ami!
It will take far more than a minor memory slip, to dent our bond of friendship.
I recall the words of Thomas Fuller: "He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself; for every man has need to be forgiven."

NOW.....

can you forgive me for spending an hour or more, entranced by enthusiasts imaginations displayed in the gallery at the bottom of the page:

http://www.aveyron2cv2016.fr/

Apologies in advance for wandering slightly *off-topic*

(I was equally impressed with Thenay 2015)

Back