Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

What have I done! (R4 GTL)

Azazello.....i did not know that there is H5 bulb until few days ago. Found out after i have bought adapters. Why do you use relay?

Today i have BIG news.

As always picture will tell more than words.

20160304_084357.jpg

First long 25km made today. Do not count those few made in town.

Driving nicely!
Aldo need to get back feeling for swinging while driving especially as strong wind (bura) is blowing right to you.

Found out few details to take care of.
Strong pinking noise when driving uphill or catching speed. Actually whenever throttle is pressed more than it is needed. Soon as i pull leg up, pinking stops.
Some rattle from engine bay is coming when i get to high revs. Can not tell is it just stronger pinking noise or something else is rattling.

My speed dial is not working correctly. Counting kms nicely but needle is not getting up or down constantly but jumping from speed to speed. From 0km/h to 40km/h needle is on 0 then suddenly jumps to 40 then jumps to 60 than 80 and then it looks like it is working fine till 100. backwards is the same. When i stop needle is at 35 km/h. small knock on plastic and falls down to 0.

And some noise is getting form clutch (or some part in that way) when i am slowly releasing clutch. Just first few cm, after that no noise any more, and no noise while i am changing gears while driving (or i can not hear it)

Hope that both problems will be solved with tightening cable.

And my fuel gauge is not showing correctly. Yesterday I top it up and needle is shoeing some 3/4 (little bit more)

Any thoughts about it will be appreciated.

I use relay in order not to burn my lights switch. .. especially if you use 60w lamps.

Some update!
Got rubbers for all doors from angel....
View attachment 15067

Tried to glue them on door but that was total fiasco

Have right adhesive for the job but i could not press rubber with clams to stay in place while glue cure. And it takes time to cure. 2 hours at least, but it would be perfect over night.
glue that i am using
View attachment 15069

As i see it now i will need to dismantle all doors one by one and glue rubber and then get doors back on car.

Does anyone have some smart solution so i do not need to remove door off the car?

Any suggestions will be appreciate!!!

Also bought some new tires for the "car"
SAVA Perfecta (Slovenian brand under continental brand) 155/70/13 75T
and out them on THE wheels.
Comparison old tire (135/70/13) and old rim with new tire (155/70/13) and new rim
View attachment 15070

Old rims are going for soda blasting and freshening up (powder coating). Will be used as winter wheels with 135/80/13 tire

New wheels on the car
View attachment 15071

With safety lock (just to be sure my wheels will stay mine).

Had to work on those safety lock nuts as cone was not good for rims. Lathe was working slightly.
View attachment 15072

View attachment 15073

To get whole picture here are some pictures :D
View attachment 15075

View attachment 15074

front of the car need to go up
It looks fantastic! Nice polished wheels. How works additional noise insulation under dash?

Azazello.....because of stronger bulbs? I did not think that it can burn switch. So it would be smart thing to do on my car!

Otto96...thank you for comment....wheels are polished....aldo need to re polish them as they were in garage for 5 years lying ...
To be honest i can not tell how much sound is lower inside the cabin because of insulation. I did not drove R4 for long time and i have forgot how was it then. Need to make spin in some other R4. Maybe then i could compare. Also my rear wheel inner arches are not insulated jet, and biggest noise is coming from back side.

Start to notice wind noise around 85-90 km/h. But nothing is getting inside cabin. so rubbers are working fine but need harder push to close doors completely.. Worked little bit with door locks but nut not much of improvement.

Made 100km this week ........ listening all kind of different noises coming out from the car. Hoping nothing bad will happen. It feels as everything is settling down.
Thinking of re tighten all nuts and bolts around front and rear suspension, engine if something get loosen not that car is in motion.
Little bit scared not to lose wheel on the way :D
Needed to put 0,5 lit distillate water in cooling system

Definitely will change whole cooling water and engine oil after few hundred km more

Also had one bad situation.
Seem as my rear left side of the car has drop down 2 cm compering to rear right side.
So now, my rear left wheel arch is 580mm from the ground, and right is 600mm form the ground.
It has dropped 4 cm on left side, and 2 cm on right side.

Is it normal for car to drop so much?

Consequence is that my left rear tire (tires are 155/70/13) is rubbing rear wheel arch when cornering right (really bad noise:o), and right wheel is not rubbing when cornering left.
It was 2 adults in front, 3 kids in back and some groceries in boot. So not so much of weight in car.
What will be if i put more weight?

Now i do not know what to do?
Need to raise rear left side 2 cm at least?

Any advice will be appreciated

Many small "childhood illnesses" that need to be done....but hoping it will be all settle in short while

:clapping:Wow Petak what a wonderful achievement . A few minor issues to sort but back on the road. That must feel great and you deserve that with all your hard and meticulous efforts. It looks s dream . Thank you from lots of us (I suspect) For all your comments of how you overcame problems and helping others do the same. Your local roads look delightful. Sunshine and space to explore with all your family ...ENJOY. :clapping:

I am curious to know about all the improvements and insulation works...

JonathanT....thank you for your kind words.....i am just trying to give my experience. good or bad. Not always easiest was or best way but my way. Ready to receive any suggestion how to do job better.
Really hope that i have contributed to our small community

Azazello...
to be hones i can not tell if there is difference in noise from all that insulation...need to drive some km in other R4 without it so i can compare. I have forgot (it has been almost 6 years since i last drive R4). Also, still did not put insulation on my rear inner wheel archers and it seems to me that biggest noise is coming from them.
Temperatures were nicely high so can not tell you if it is hotter inside because all that insulation.
I can tell you that cabin is warm up fast in the morning.
Hope BorgeB will be in Tribunj soon (town near me) and then i will get chance to compare noise.

Door light is working perfectly. Both left and right. It lights on if any doors are open, and lights off 5-6 sec after last door is closed. And if i need light in car i turn plastic cover (as on all R4) and both lights light on.

Intermittent wipers are perfection. they are great help if rain is light or you get splashed from car in front of you. Problem is that turn on knob is to long. So if i turn it little bit it start wipers every 3-4sec. and if i turn it whole turn it start wipers every 60 sec. I do not need 60 sec. Will try to adjust that with different potentiometer. or not.....will use it for while as it is and then decide about it. But whole idea is great and i am very happy that it worked out this way.

Made some 500km.
It was time for service.

Had to re tighten head, adjusted valves as they were hearing very hard and noisy when you rev up engine. I could hear them loud and clear when in third gear speeding from 75-80km/h up.

Adjusted firing and carb little bit as it is to thirsty. 9lit@100km (or 29,75mpg) But this is the best i can get with this carb....if does not get better will use second (or third one)
Using unleaded 95 petrol without lead additive.
I am aiming to get 5,5-6lit@100km (50mpg)
That is something i had before and it is reachable for R4.

And it seems to me that he does not like speed around 100km/h (at 90km/h car fills best). Did not go over 105 km/h.

I would like to achive that car feels nice at some 110-120km/h for highway road drive.
Not that i will drive it like that often but would hate to get overtaken by trucks and 18wheelers if i need to be on highway.

Do you think it will be better if i use 98 (or 100) octane petrol (or it does not matter much)?

There are some vibrations from steering wheel and gearknob while at idle. Need to find out what is touching where?

Pull out rear wheel archers with my hands to stop tire rubbing in corners while loaded.
Got great advice for this job. Take of rear light lenses as they intend to brake if you pull out wheel arch.
For now rubbing has stopped but need to load car little bit more to test again.

Planing to go on short trim whit whole family next week. That will be perfect test for car. If all 5 of us get nice and pleasant and everything is working nice i will be happy.

Had some trouble with pipes.
Radiator hose that goes from radiator to pump got small puncture.

20160318_111839.jpg

Luckily i have habit to open bonnet every 20km since i start to drive the car and check is everything OK.
I fix it (temporarily) with tape and clamp...until new hose arrive.
Will change whole system whit new coolant.

Need to put new exhaust pipe as old one got wholes on one bracket. first wanted to weld holes but new pipe is 135kn (14GBP) and i get discount on that price at my mechanics (one that you can see in this topic. twin brothers that helped me with this project from start). For that money i decided to get new pipe.

Thinking about adding third seatbelt at rear bench as one of my child does not seatbelt if whole family go for trip.
But do not know where and how mount that third seatbelt.
Any ideas?

JonathanT....thank you for your kind words.....i am just trying to give my experience. good or bad. Not always easiest was or best way but my way. Ready to receive any suggestion how to do job better.
Really hope that i have contributed to our small community

Azazello...
to be hones i can not tell if there is difference in noise from all that insulation...need to drive some km in other R4 without it so i can compare. I have forgot (it has been almost 6 years since i last drive R4). Also, still did not put insulation on my rear inner wheel archers and it seems to me that biggest noise is coming from them.
Temperatures were nicely high so can not tell you if it is hotter inside because all that insulation.
I can tell you that cabin is warm up fast in the morning.
Hope BorgeB will be in Tribunj soon (town near me) and then i will get chance to compare noise.

Door light is working perfectly. Both left and right. It lights on if any doors are open, and lights off 5-6 sec after last door is closed. And if i need light in car i turn plastic cover (as on all R4) and both lights light on.

Intermittent wipers are perfection. they are great help if rain is light or you get splashed from car in front of you. Problem is that turn on knob is to long. So if i turn it little bit it start wipers every 3-4sec. and if i turn it whole turn it start wipers every 60 sec. I do not need 60 sec. Will try to adjust that with different potentiometer. or not.....will use it for while as it is and then decide about it. But whole idea is great and i am very happy that it worked out this way.

Made some 500km.
It was time for service.

Had to re tighten head, adjusted valves as they were hearing very hard and noisy when you rev up engine. I could hear them loud and clear when in third gear speeding from 75-80km/h up.

Adjusted firing and carb little bit as it is to thirsty. 9lit@100km (or 29,75mpg) But this is the best i can get with this carb....if does not get better will use second (or third one)
Using unleaded 95 petrol without lead additive.
I am aiming to get 5,5-6lit@100km (50mpg)
That is something i had before and it is reachable for R4.

And it seems to me that he does not like speed around 100km/h (at 90km/h car fills best). Did not go over 105 km/h.

I would like to achive that car feels nice at some 110-120km/h for highway road drive.
Not that i will drive it like that often but would hate to get overtaken by trucks and 18wheelers if i need to be on highway.

Do you think it will be better if i use 98 (or 100) octane petrol (or it does not matter much)?

There are some vibrations from steering wheel and gearknob while at idle. Need to find out what is touching where?

Pull out rear wheel archers with my hands to stop tire rubbing in corners while loaded.
Got great advice for this job. Take of rear light lenses as they intend to brake if you pull out wheel arch.
For now rubbing has stopped but need to load car little bit more to test again.

Planing to go on short trim whit whole family next week. That will be perfect test for car. If all 5 of us get nice and pleasant and everything is working nice i will be happy.

Had some trouble with pipes.
Radiator hose that goes from radiator to pump got small puncture.

View attachment 15690

Luckily i have habit to open bonnet every 20km since i start to drive the car and check is everything OK.
I fix it (temporarily) with tape and clamp...until new hose arrive.
Will change whole system whit new coolant.

Need to put new exhaust pipe as old one got wholes on one bracket. first wanted to weld holes but new pipe is 135kn (14GBP) and i get discount on that price at my mechanics (one that you can see in this topic. twin brothers that helped me with this project from start). For that money i decided to get new pipe.

Thinking about adding third seatbelt at rear bench as one of my child does not seatbelt if whole family go for trip.
But do not know where and how mount that third seatbelt.
Any ideas?

Hello Petak!

In a couple of weeks I will be happy to see
Your R4 in life and help you compare noise !

We will be expecting a full test report the following morning for both ;)

Sorry JonathanT still no test report about noise and wine/beer........waiting borgeb to arrive.:D

But here is another update on child illnesses on my R4.

Exhaust pipe changed and it is something completely different now.

Didi not drive much as did not wanted to "test" how strong pipes really are.

Radiator pipes finally came last week, and i was looking for "right" time to change them.
Noticed that upper pipe is actually for R5 TL 1,1 engine model (according to part NO i have found on packaging)
Was afraid little bit but in the end it was only 3/3,5 cm longer than i needed.

Last week i have noticed some liquid on floor and with my feeling of smell, contact and taste i have concluded it is antifreeze coming out form my heat radiator.

Instantly was puled down dashboard and ventilator.
I go leek on heating valve.

First tough it was problem in O-ring in valve and decided to change it.
P1060654.jpg

P1060659.jpg

And test it

Close valve, turn it upside down and put water in it
20160419_162335.jpg

20160419_162353.jpg

After whole night water level was the same so i tough i have fixed problem.

Made new seal that goes between heater and valve out of klingerit gasket material.

All happy put everything back, radiator pipes, valve, new antifreeze (coolant)

And left all that way for few hours. Wanted to be certain that leakage on heater was solved.

But not. Got small leek on that klingerit seal.
It looks like it got drunk of antifreeze and start to leek.

Left like that as night start to fall down and i could not see anything.
Now i am planing to make new seal out of leftover of that upper radiator hose that i have cut down for 3 cm.
It is rubber that is resistant to heat and antifreeze.
Hope it will work.

You will be informed.

Today send car back to garage.
Last night we had heavy rain and i have found flor full of water.
But this time i could certanly see where water is leaking as dashboard is taken off.
Removed front glass off and left it to dry out tonight.
I am planing to put butil seal between glass rubber and body.
But in renault manual i have read that some seal need to be put also between glass and rubber.

Any toughts about it?
Should i put butil seal between glass and rubber or not.

P.S. part of renault manual have attached to this post name "montaža šajbe"

• montaža šajbe.pdf
    61.8 KB · Views: 10
I had the same problems. First time water leaked from heater in conection whit pipes, because of weared rubber, second time was problem in O ring and third time with sealing under tap. But now, I could remove radiator realy fast :D . I wish you no more problems.
Sorry JonathanT still no test report about noise and wine/beer........waiting borgeb to arrive.:D

But here is another update on child illnesses on my R4.

Exhaust pipe changed and it is something completely different now.

Didi not drive much as did not wanted to "test" how strong pipes really are.

Radiator pipes finally came last week, and i was looking for "right" time to change them.
Noticed that upper pipe is actually for R5 TL 1,1 engine model (according to part NO i have found on packaging)
Was afraid little bit but in the end it was only 3/3,5 cm longer than i needed.

Last week i have noticed some liquid on floor and with my feeling of smell, contact and taste i have concluded it is antifreeze coming out form my heat radiator.

Instantly was puled down dashboard and ventilator.
I go leek on heating valve.

First tough it was problem in O-ring in valve and decided to change it.
View attachment 15809

View attachment 15810

And test it

Close valve, turn it upside down and put water in it
View attachment 15811

View attachment 15812

After whole night water level was the same so i tough i have fixed problem.

Made new seal that goes between heater and valve out of klingerit gasket material.

All happy put everything back, radiator pipes, valve, new antifreeze (coolant)

And left all that way for few hours. Wanted to be certain that leakage on heater was solved.

But not. Got small leek on that klingerit seal.
It looks like it got drunk of antifreeze and start to leek.

Left like that as night start to fall down and i could not see anything.
Now i am planing to make new seal out of leftover of that upper radiator hose that i have cut down for 3 cm.
It is rubber that is resistant to heat and antifreeze.
Hope it will work.

You will be informed.

Thank you otto96!

For few days now cooling system is full and no leaking on heater, or hoses or valve....
yesterday put back windscreen.
This time rubber has settle much better than first time and i hope it wont leak even i did not put butil seal.

Today is testing with high pressure washer.

If leaks again windscreen will go out once more, but then butil seal will be put on.

If nothing else, this fixing is making me very fast in repairing thing on R4 :D

How about no windscreen flippers and goggles and to hell with leaks :doh:

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 0
Sure JonathanT.......summer is coming anyway s.o more breeze inside cabin would be nice

Nice photo :D

Back