Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

4 No.4!

SJC400

Enthusiast
IMG_2857.jpg
So I've just bought my 4th R4 for my fleet. A 1979 845cc in Yellow, original old dash intact, nice.
(others being 2x 80's LHD 4's and an F4 Van)
She was advertised on here and after much negotiation, she was trailered home on Friday evening and wrapped up in a nice warm garage for a week or two.
Partly restored, but with much left to do I have started the parts list, which no doubt my good mate 'Bobble' will be on the case with.
Biggest problem, the engine is seized!! From past experience, the chances are it's not going to 'Un-seize' either. So this will be an engine strip out, or another engine dropped it, luckily I have a few!:-)
When these engines seize, they seem to absolutely 'lock solid' and its like someone has filled the bores with super glue. The last one I attempted, it split the bore-liner, before the piston would actually move! By then it's too late and the rebuild would have been far too expensive, another engine was sought.
So, it's all underway and I will try and add pictures as we go, but it could be a slow process, I do have a few things on-the-go at the moment, but I will squeeze it in and get it on the road again soon.
I think she's called May, because she arrived in May and was almost a May-be-not?
Watch this space.

Well done
Always good to hear of another R4 heading back on the road soonish lol
4 renault 4 and only 9 posts so far we are missing out on pics
Make sure not to throw old 845 engines away as there is a reason to keep them but guess you may already know why

Well done
Always good to hear of another R4 heading back on the road soonish lol
4 renault 4 and only 9 posts so far we are missing out on pics
Make sure not to throw old 845 engines away as there is a reason to keep them but guess you may already know why

Thanks mr reno:)
I've just had another converstaion with Bobble, who is a good mate now.
He tells me to contact you, looking for piston rings, bore seals etc for 845cc engine.
Been in this game a while, so nothing too difficult for me and nothing surprises me!
Any parts? Any news on parts etc, please let me know.
Also looking for a chrome rear bumper, should you come across any chickens teeth while you are about it, I'll buy them too:laughing:. Thanks Matey.

Not much 845 bits apart from 3 brand new pistons and liners about 4 sump gaskets possibly head set and new water pump
Have got low mileage 5L engine with better cam and carb but have promised it to someone else

Mmmm, interested in the pistons and liners, even though there is only 3! Maybe the head gasket set,
almost maybe the water pump? How much you looking for each item matey (or a job lot?)

Back