Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Help - Rubber 'bush'? for steering column

renaultlove

Enthusiast
Hi Renault 4 people
Does anyone know where I can lay my hands on a steering column rubber bush? I was driving my car when the gear change became looser and I had difficulty slotting into gear. When I looked under the bonnet the rubber bush had come loose and unfortunately has a split in it - so will need to be replaced. It has a serial number on it which looks like 70053241. I enclose photos of the part. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Great, but it is nothing to do with steering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is the gear change lever bush where the two actuator shafts mate i.e. the gear change lever (engine end) and the vertical shaft eminating from the gearbox) .

Yes these parts are available from a number of sources including Der Franzose and Melun Retro Passion
Others on here may point you more precisely than I can.

Have a look at your linkage and check you have the springs in place that are attached the long gear lever.
Not entirely convinced a damaged rubber would have that much influnce on selecting the gear. Could be a number of bits along this linkage adding together to make it sloppy.

Yes these parts are available from a number of sources including Der Franzose and Melun Retro Passion
Others on here may point you more precisely than I can.

Have a look at your linkage and check you have the springs in place that are attached the long gear lever.
Not entirely convinced a damaged rubber would have that much influnce on selecting the gear. Could be a number of bits along this linkage adding together to make it sloppy.

Hi JonathanT thanks very much for your reply. I have looked on Der Franzose and yes the part is there - so I have put in an order and hopefully I should receive it next week. Not sure about the springs - can't see any...... Have you got a photo?

Have a look at my thread 'what I am doing ' there are some there that should help or will gladly send more

Halfway down the vertical gear change rod lies a circlip. Alongside is a diagonal stay. There should be a short spring about 3" long hooked into the circlip and to a small hole in the stay. Comparing the rubber bush on my car with the images of yours, my one could do with replacing as the hole is much larger. That should make gear selection a bit more positive, especially selecting reverse.

Back