Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R5 Bits needed

Mean Green

Enthusiast
Well after a 5 year gap I've finally bit the bullet and purchased another 5. An early 5L which had been languishing in a French scrapyard for the last 18 months and which I'm hoping to have back on the road by spring. It's remarkably sound bodily but is missing a few bits. Does anyone by any chance have any LHD wiper arms for starters?

• r5L.jpg
    r5L.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 6
Hi there
Is this the car rob moss rescued ?
Have very recently scrapped a 5L 1974"
With most parts now in Ben who has got the green 73 5tl possession
Obviously rhd so arms different I do have a massive collection of old renault wiper arms you are welcome to rummage through
Bear in mind that as soon as a part is listed for a 5 turbo midengined price will be silly on ebay etc
Not from me though my contact details on my profile page
20151104_104421.jpg

I love early R5s, I can't help you but I wish you best of luck for your project!

Hi there, it is the very same car Rob Moss saved, I couldn't help falling for it! Thanks for your offer of help with the arms. It's due to arrive at mine this weekend so I'll perhaps draw up a list of everything I need then in between manning the 2cvGB stand at the NEC. I'm pleased your parts stock went to Ben, his car was once mine too - couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it!

I have got quite a lot of new stuff unique to 845 in my collection
Including brake parts handbrake cables Back plates I am on the Renault classic car club page on Facebook and will be visiting the NEC myself this weekend taking some parts up 4 club members both renault Owners Club and rccc

Hi, that's great to know. I'm not even sure if mine is an 845, in fact I think there's a very good chance it's a 783cc! The brakes are almost certainly going to need a complete rebuild, it's been stood for at least 18 months and was drained of all fluids (my biggest dread is that this was done without puncturing anything like the sump or fuel tank). I'm at the NEC all weekend manning the 2cvGB stand so perhaps I'll get to say hi while I'm there. Can't wait to get her home so I can asses what needs doing.

Well I've now got her home, begun a deep clean and identified some of the other missing components.
Desperate for a radiator drain plug and the correct battery terminal connections (I want it to look as original as possible) I now know she's a 782cc and had one owner, sadly deceased in 2010 at the age of 85

Last edited:
It's good to see another Mk1 R5 being saved. The battery connections should be the same as the Renault 4, but the battery connectors tend to fall apart so it is worth looking at Der Franzose or Melun Retro Passion to see if they do new ones. I didn't realise there was a radiator drain plug.

I've since discovered the radiator drain plug was fitted to R8 and R16 models - not the R4. Renault ownership is a steep learning curve and I'm really grateful for all the advice given so far. Nearly there, just an exhaust to fit and cooling circuit to refill. May attempt a start up at the weekend.

Just joined the forum so please be gentle ! I bought an R5 Gordini Turbo with almost two sets of everything. Just need someone to put her back together ... any ideas gratefully received

Well if you've got 2 bodyshells with no rust everything else will be simple ☺
Seriously may be able to help as worked on quite a few
Feel free to contact me direct if you want details on my profile page text whatsapp phone or even facebook
Do post pics here though so we can all see

Back