Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

What I am doing!

Two very long days have seen the return of the driving seat, passenger seat and the final fitting of the dashboard. My reward was to sit in the driving seat and actually driving up and down the yard. As I'm off to car fest with my friend Steve next week and holiday at the end of the week I have only realistically tomorrow evening available to work on Womble for the MOT. I really need to get the MOT next week.

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 7
On to the detail of what I've done today. After realising the speedo cable did not line up with the old style speedo. I had to drill the bulkhead. I only had a wood cutting hole saw, but surprisingly it did a really good job .

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 3
Not the final final job but the last before MOT . Is to put fluid in the brake system. But how to prime it ? So far lots of pumpy pumpy at the pedal but no squirty squirty at the wheels ? :( Any suggestions ?

Oh and this is how I made the speedo cable fit or be retained

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1
Admire your creativity
Gunson eezibleed best for completely empty systems
Especially if you've got 4 port master cylinder with pdwi

Thank you Paul. I need to be creative with such a short deadline . Thanks for tip re bleeder. Didn't know such a thing existed. Ok will Amazon in a couple of hours if my mate with the garage can't lend me one . Otherwise you know what I'm thinking sat here at work.....

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1
You have definitely beat me with details at the end of assembly that you are doing....
Ideas how to fit things together are really amaze me.....

You got "crazy" sticker in my mind (but positive crazy :D)

Ha Ha Petak ... Yes Crazy! I like it :clapping:- desperate too ;)
I'll get there somehow.

Paul Ive ordered a collect later Gunson bleeder from Halfords - collecting straight after work :fighting:

To you my friends I toast fun and happiness in your Renault 4 I have so many of you to thank for all your conversation advice and ideas. But mostly your friendship and comradeship. So much good and knowledgeable advice so freely given . Paul (Mr Reno) and Petak in particular. I'm too tired to write the full post now but
What I do have to say is Womble PASSED HIS MOT!!!' and already I've driven my kids to Norwich and back . Finished at 3:15am this morning MOt'd in my lunch break .

No desparate issues drove great with a lovely ride. Engine not running as reliably as it should (inclined to stop when foot off accelerator and intermittent hunting which I will be quizzing you all about ) but for now CHEERS AND GOOD HEALTH :drunk:

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 2
IIiiiiiihhhhhhaaaaaaaa!

Happy as it was mine MOT........enjoy!

casa-crnog-vina-bolji-san-slika-55293.jpg

i am pouring

Yay, brilliant news, well done after all the hard work and false starts.

Hello everyone! I've been on holiday and now back at work. So a few moments to catch up with you my friends. Womble is a delight . Though I have had a few problems getting the engine to run smoothly. I discovered the carburettor had formed little white crystals inside despite being cleaned really carefully. I took the Jets apart again cleaned them and blew through them again. Now it seems to idle reliably and drives really well. Also an alarming flooding over of the bowl when the engine stopped pouring petrol directly over the hot manifold!!! Put the original petrol valve above the float back and it's now fine . I also found a excellent tutorial on YouTube about straightening your steering wheel. After a couple of trial runs I now have a straight steering wheel and lovely light steering. Will post the method.
Soon I will be changing the oil and filter after running in. It's so much quieter than ever before and slowly getting smoother as I tune little bits and bobs as Womble and I get used to each other again .

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 3
At the weekend we had a vintage day here in Wymondham . So I put bunting up in the street and made a little show with friends at the pub opposite . A French lady and her husband came to look at Womble. 'Renault quatre cest Bon etat! (Or something like that!!) They kept exclaiming . Turns out she worked for Renault for over 30years.

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 2
Time for another post. Slowly I'm getting on top of all the little niggles and the engine is running really well now. I do have an annoying petrol leak on the throttle spindle of the carburettor and a slight leak on the fuel filler where the short rubber tube connects onto the metal tube of the tank. So the jobs I've been doing are: putting the black sealer between the external wing joins and completing the door cards. I finally tracked down the perfect black sealer for the wings visible joins. It dries too hard rubbery finish not sticky or gummy to attract dust and dirt like the butyl sealer used elsewhere. (See photos of Evo Stick one part polysulphide black sealer) The door cards are nearly finished. And Ive now applied the genuine tartan fabric I have chosen if only my little cat would let me get on and finish!

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 3
And the door cards:

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 1
Finally today I fitted some little stick on hooks. These were fitted I guess by a previous owner. Keith my painter had carefully removed and put them aside so they could be refitted. It's a detail I love so back on they went

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 1
Hooks are smart move.....usually jackets are just lie down on rear bench

Door card are original one?
I was investigating for my boot door card and 3 mm MDF board is little bit ticker than original but will be good substitute to original board.

Hooks are smart move.....usually jackets are just lie down on rear bench

Door card are original one?
I was investigating for my boot door card and 3 mm MDF board is little bit ticker than original but will be good substitute to original board.
Hi Petak yes Ive replaced all the door cards with new MDF 3mm - Its ideal.
I think only the 'Luxury/Super' versions of the R4 had cards on the boot door but it would be nice.

All the original cards(boards) had bowed toward the doors as I suspect they had got a little damp. The new boards i have treated and will put insulation on the back too.

Back