Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Brake type

Thank you, Brian was a great help, he enabled me to get my UK registration in the end when I was almost ready to give up. I greatly appreciate your part in the process too, thank you. I am sure I will get there in the end, I have had some pretty obscure classics over the years but the R4 seems to be one of the hardest to buy the RIGHT parts for to be honest, there seems to be no certainty as to which vehicle has which parts. I think if the earlier answer regarding type was right ie. my brakes are Bendix, that I have ordered correctly so time will tell. I will keep everything crossed until they arrive !

There is no need to worry, only one type of 228mm front drum brakes was fitted, and only one type of brake cylinder fits. If you can't find something decrnt, I have a set of new Stop brake shoes complete with fitting kit (springs and clips).

I have found Der Franzose part number 84027 which APPEARS to be right but who knows. I can feel this is going to be a very short ownership.

Half the "fun" is in the search-No?? - I can see your frustration.but you will be rewarded in the end.. Whenever I buy new parts I make a note in my partsbook with
info re brand and pt.number(s) of the parts now fitted-also looks up any/all equvalents to ease locating correct parts next time aroud -Reid.

Thank you all, I think I have sourced the "right" parts so watch this space for an update. :laughing:

Angel I forgot to say that bit about all 228 being bendix
Even you must agree the way der franzose website lists stuff that unless you have done research it's not easy for a beginner
Guess the to the rest of us it eventually comes with experience

I have not yet stripped the REAR brakes is it safe to assume they will be Bendix also ?

Good question if it's 160 mm then Def bendix
Think yours was 78 2106 F4
So unless it's been changed to rear handbrake or f6 1108 etc you should be safe
They may list different bore sizes on bendix cylinders

Good question if it's 160 mm then Def bendix
Think yours was 78 2106 F4
So unless it's been changed to rear handbrake or f6 1108 etc you should be safe
They may list different bore sizes on bendix cylinders
Thanks for that, I will strip them and see what I find, it is still on the front handbrake system so hopefully everything will be as it left the factory whatever that was :laughing:

Quick update, front brakes replaced and adjusted. Rears to check and replace if needed but brakes are really good now so I'm heading in the right direction :laughing: THANKS for all your help up to now.

Can anyone identify these rear drums as Bendix ? Across the front flat part they measure 160mm. IMG_4475.JPG IMG_4476.JPG

Read above 160mm only one type bendix
That's why I asked I just wondered if measuring the FLAT section of the front of the drum was an accurate way to measure diameter. If so then my brakes are Bendix all round. Thanks

Back