Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1986 Red R4 GTL Cambridge

rd117

Much loved 1986 Renault 4 GTL, 93596 miles, belonged to my mother since 1986, last driven in 2012. Has been in my garage since then as I was not ready to part with it. Took it out on the drive occasionally when good weather, then back inside.
Now finally ready to let it go. Ideally to someone able to drive and enjoy it. This would need work: rust (front wings, rear suspension); fuel line blocked; battery dead. If anyone interested in looking at it, and/or more details, contact me on rd117 at cam.ac.uk
R4.JPG

hi, could you tell me as to what kind of money you are looking for as i am looking for a restoration project thanks ronny

hi, i had no idea so i just looked at the price guide on the website. The lowest category (£50-£100) says "A wreck only usable for spares - too much rust to bother restoring".
I think it's definitely better than that. The next category (£100-£1000) reads "Tatty cars that need work". Much as I don't feel the word "tatty" applies, it does "need work".
So I guess that's the right category: it is indeed a restoration project.

I'm going to delete the price guide again as I don't keep it updated - those are 2012 prices and there has been a boom since, but people like cars that have an MOT. I would guess around the £500 to £1500 mark from the photos but I'm not the expert.

No sale ... decided to keep it and try to drive it myself! First, repairs to fix problems and make it work. Done. MOT. Done. Now I have to start driving it regularly and see how I feel. Then decide whether to keep it in the longer term (full-scale restoration?), or not... It seems to attract a lot of goodwill: people come and talk to me, some tell me they used to own one themselves, R4s bring back happy memories...

Back