Réparateur d'automobiles

Heater Matrix

xtrjeff

Enthusiast
Hi All,
I have a F6 Furgoneta (van) as they are called in Spain "Ralphi"
is the pet name. We live at the foot hills of some mountains and Ralphi
is still a working van. Twice, sometimes three times a week Ralphi has to
negotiate the mountain roads and does so in the true form of an R4.
Just purrs up and down the mountain roads with ease (at 40klm/hr)

But the continual drip drip onto the floor tells me Ralphi possibly needs a new
heater matrix so was looking for advice on where I could acquire a new one asap
to return to Spain with next Tuesday morning. (Any advice on how to remove and replace would be great also)
I need to buy it over the weekend. I have transport here in the UK
so can drive to buy/collect any assitance or help with this would be most appreciated.
kind Rgds.

Hi Mojobaby,

Thank you for the reply. No luck so far in UK. So will contact your suggestions above.
I will check it out for sure when I return on Tuesday if the matrix has blown (and not just a weaping/loose hose)

Also do you know anything about fitting a new distributor that has electronic ignition ! My distributor is making
a worn bearing type of whurring noise. So I was thinking it may be good to fit an upgrade with electronic ignition.

If anyone has any advice on this I would be grateful
Thank you

If you look at the top right hand side on this page, there is a "search" bar. Type in 123 ignition, there's been quite a bit of discussion on the subject.

Try putting a few drops of oil into the top of the distributor shaft, after removing the rotor. The little felt piece might be dry. The Heynes manual suggests putting a smear of Vaseline around the cam area as well, where the points make contact. However, that is probably when the "finger" of the points had a felt contact tip. These days it's plastic or Teflon, but it wouldn't hurt to try although I don't think there would be any benefit.

As far as I know, the distributor doesn't have a bearing (I may be wrong) The noise you're hearing could be the gear engaging the cam gear.

Regarding your heater matrix, hopefully it's just a hose.

Update on Heater Matrix (Rad) leaking: 2016-10-21-PHOTO-00000006.jpg
So have arrived back and taken out heater Rad. On close inspection, it appears as though the actual leak is coming from the Hot/ Cold tap that allows the flow of hot water from the engine to flow through the Rad. (see pic showing brown stain of water from tap) i think the actual Rad is OK. It is the original incidentally as it is stamped with a production date showing month and year (Same as the vehicle). Rad looks in pretty good shape internally and externally not much crud came out of it (well have been running with the correct inhibitor anti freeze for the last 18 months at least anyway) but the little "tap" or open/close hot cold is only a plastic shell with what looks like a copper or brass internal key-way to allow the water flow. I'm guessing the plastic housing has given way over the years to continual heat change and worn slightly for water to dribble past.
Or........... the dribble is coming from between the "tap and the rad housing" as there does not seem to be a very good seal or gasket between the two ?? so do I take a chance and try to use something or a product of some sort to make a gasket.
Any advice would be well appreciated
Thanks guys.

Your best bet - assuming the radiator itself is sound - would be to replace the tap and gasket. The taps come up fairly frequently on Spanish eBay; I'm not sure whether they come with a gasket. If not, it's a fiddly but straightforward job to make one yourself - the last time I had to do this job, I made one from some surplus water pump gasket material. Be gentle with the nuts and bolts that hold the tap on, though - it's easy to damage the heater unit.

Are you shure that tap is plastic?
Mine is all brass. I have open it and change o-ring inside and gasket between matrix and tap (at the end have put gasket made of water heater rubber hose), and works fine.
You can try to repair it. Wont lose anything (as you need to change it anyway) but can win much.

You can see details in my topic. Page 15.
Here is link
http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-i-done-r4-gtl.3996/page-15#post-49931

Hope it will help you

Are you shure that tap is plastic?
Mine is all brass. I have open it and change o-ring inside and gasket between matrix and tap (at the end have put gasket made of water heater rubber hose), and works fine.
You can try to repair it. Wont lose anything (as you need to change it anyway) but can win much.

You can see details in my topic. Page 15.
Here is link
http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-i-done-r4-gtl.3996/page-15#post-49931

Hope it will help you
Hi thank You Petak,
I have found both a Plastic And brass Heater Tap On The Spanish Ebay. So will buy one now and replace, hopefully my problems will be resolved.

Your best bet - assuming the radiator itself is sound - would be to replace the tap and gasket. The taps come up fairly frequently on Spanish eBay; I'm not sure whether they come with a gasket. If not, it's a fiddly but straightforward job to make one yourself - the last time I had to do this job, I made one from some surplus water pump gasket material. Be gentle with the nuts and bolts that hold the tap on, though - it's easy to damage the heater unit.
Great Andy thank you, have followed your advice and found a Tap on the Spanish eBay. Will purchase and let you know if all is ok! Thanks again.

A internal pic of an heater matrix.

An old mechanic told me this "serpentines" retain the hot temperature in the heater and produce more heat.

20231117_192440.jpg

Back