Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Carburettor repair issue

Azazello

habitué
Hi guys, I have a problem with a solex 32 dis mounted on my later white Cleon engined TL.
I noticed a big loss of fuel from the base of the carb; thought it was a screw gasket fault, but changing the copper gasket gave no result; so an old mechanic told me it was a fissuration on the base of the carb "little tank". He said there was no way to fix it, and I need to replace the carb or its lower half at least.
I was thinking about a tankerite painting, but since the whole kit costs quite as much as another carb, maybe I can try a repair with an epossy resin... I already have a couple of products at home!
Any of you already tried this way?

Worth a try Andrea, epoxy resin is very good for that sort of repair, and you've nothing to lose by trying it. 300+ euros for a new carb so definitely worth a go. Regards Brian.

If you can get a new carb bite the bullet and fit new ,the difference to an engine with a new carb is striking and they will not always be available.Also one club member has already had a fire caused by a leaking carb which almost cost him his car and could have cost his life.

I already have a spare carb... just wouldn't like to use it too because I run on lpg and need to drill a hose in the venturi. But if there is no better choice (it is used but seems quite new, costed me 40 euros)...

Fair comment Gary, I guess the cost of a new carb is a small price to pay for peace of mind, and as you say, it can make a huge difference to an engines performance.

You could try Loctite 290 Wick-in. It is commonly used for porosity in cylinder blocks and heads as a treatment on new thin wall engine castings by the car manufacturers. With a clean dry casting off the engine apply the loctite- it will get sucked into porous castings due to the surface tension. Then it will harden and you can put the carb together again.
I have even used it on an alfa to stop head gasket weeping from coolant side to outside of block.

The other thing I've used us Wynns black gasket maker.

Google it, it's amazing stuff, we've used it on Aga cookers to hold rope seals on and sealed all sorts of stuff with it...

Back