Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

What I am doing!

That was the starting price
But guess posrage cost more than item Screenshot_2016-12-13-19-27-53.png

I hope I've bought the correct oil ?
Womble has now completed his initial phase of running in and I have to say the engine is really going well. Having completed 750 apx miles I've now changed the oil from the Running in grade. To 20/50 and changed the filter. The sump plug was clean as a whistle. Not like my Morris Minor I had in my 20's - The sump plug looked more like a Hedgehog:o.

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    306.9 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 6
Wow, she looks very happy.
Usually I go for 15w40, but 20w50 is listed on the manual too so I think it's fairly good....

Well it's blooming freezing here in Norfolk. Was going to do a few bits on Womble but instead took a tour of the local charity shops . Found a brilliant pair of new overalls for £6.50 a real bargain . So then set about having a good tidy up of the garage. Later I took Womble for a quick spin while the roads were dry. I was testing for a tiny tiny leak in the interior heater hose just close to the junction with the water pump. I had made a repair with black mastic but it's still weeping a tiny bit. I can't risk an overheating episode so I shall be scanning the Der Franzose catalogue for those pipes tomorrow. Trouble is the illustrations I've seen on there are not that definitive. New oil seems great engine is purring.

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 4
Still to order those pipes. Lack of momentum to blame !
The good thing is when I go out to sniff the interior of Womble the Waxoyl pong is slowly fading. The doctor seems to be pleased with my progress by the way ;)

Tonight I have had a little tinker - enjoying myself fitting new heater hoses from Melun Retro Passion. One of mine had a tiny hole just above the pump. Too awkward to put an bicycle repair patch on. Not wanting to break down somewhere with an Overheated engine I've replaced the hoses. Those from Melun followed the original pattern. Der franzose ones are not the same and their pipe doesn't have the double kinks they should.

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 2
I also in the process got the delightful blower unit fixed on better with little loss of air pressure against the bulkhead now it blows a hooley through the screen and foot vents now

A box of goodies has arrived from der franzose. I shall reveal all in my next instalment :o

But for the meantime here is a smashing oil jug I bought from the local car shop
Shame the lettering is a sticky transfer but still looks the part,
Now on show in my man cave

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 0
And a glimpse of the next project waiting patiently above Womble. It's a 1950s canvas canoe

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 0
I also in the process got the delightful blower unit fixed on better with little loss of air pressure against the bulkhead now it blows a hooley through the screen and foot vents now

Jonathan
What was wrong with your blower unit? Whilst I have bled any air from my heater, it could do with being more effective.

Jonathan
What was wrong with your blower unit? Whilst I have bled any air from my heater, it could do with being more effective.
Hi Paul I only had the centre nuts on securing it to the bulkhead. So air pressure was being lost around the junction of the unit to the bulkhead. The union relies on a foam plastic gasket to seal it. I had to take it all off to put the new heater hoses in. In the process I oiled the motor bearings which would occasionally squeal and make a real racket

Well I fitted the heater hoses as you can see above. However I discovered a problem. The hose on the manifold side of the engine touched the corner of the manifold and I could not leave it that way in case it melted through. I had to remove the heater and hose :eyepatch: cut 20mm of the end and refit everything. Close examination of the original pipe showed exactly the same modification. Here is a photo of the hose (old and new) before trimming.

• IMG_5384[1].JPG
    IMG_5384[1].JPG
    259.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5383[1].JPG
    IMG_5383[1].JPG
    125 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5385[1].JPG
    IMG_5385[1].JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Heater Hose 1.jpg
    Heater Hose 1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Heater Hose 2.jpg
    Heater Hose 2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 0
The other thing I have been tinkering with is a thermometer as recommended by Mr Reno. I bought a reasonable one off ebay but was concerned the sensor would not fit any of the blanking holes. I can see there are adapters available but discovered the end fits snugly into a bolt recess on the pump and it works fine like that. A bit more fiddling and I will have a proper installation. Here are photos of the bits. I intend to hide the themometer a bit

• IMG_5379[1].JPG
    IMG_5379[1].JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5380[1].JPG
    IMG_5380[1].JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 1
Temp sensor i have put in place of one plug on water pump. Late guy made thread in plug and i just bolted in sensor.

Still looking nice hidden place for instrument :D

And here I reveal my little present to Womble... A fitted cover from der Franzose

Not waterproof but dust proof
Zip is on LHS to access interior

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 0
The other thing I have been tinkering with is a thermometer as recommended by Mr Reno. I bought a reasonable one off ebay but was concerned the sensor would not fit any of the blanking holes. I can see there are adapters available but discovered the end fits snugly into a bolt recess on the pump and it works fine like that. A bit more fiddling and I will have a proper installation. Here are photos of the bits. I intend to hide the themometer a bit

Jonathan, Could you please show a photo of exactly where on the water pump your adaptor and sensor is bolted? I am looking at exactly the same water temp gauge on eBay. Irritatingly I just know I have an original Smith water temp gauge somewhere in my workshop and for the life of me, I cannot find it. I've had it for forty years now!

(Later) Solved. I've found two plugs on the water pump and presume the one I need is the larger of the two and facing forwards. I can insert my little finger into the hex recess of the plug. After failing to find the Smiths temp gauge I have bought the same eBay one as you did. I'm curious as to the size of the special adaptor you have inherited (male & female threads). The sensor thread might be 1/8" NPT but there is no information about it in the eBay entry. I should be able to turn one up on my lathe.

Last edited:
Hello Vulgalour thank you for kind words it's a project I thoroughly enjoyed and so great to have the support network that's this Forum. Yes it's an Eriba Puck caravan I tow. I restored that too about 4 years ago. A similarity with the Renault 4 it's an exceptional peice if design. Unlike 'teardrop' types which are effectively a double mattress on a trailer. This is a fully functional caravan with kitchen, wardrobe. Table, storage , fridge and comfortable seating all in the same footprint as a teardrop . I call her 'Sweet Pea' and everyone loves it
Top duo there.

Jonathan, Could you please show a photo of exactly where on the water pump your adaptor and sensor is bolted? I am looking at exactly the same water temp gauge on eBay. Irritatingly I just know I have an original Smith water temp gauge somewhere in my workshop and for the life of me, I cannot find it. I've had it for forty years now!

(Later) Solved. I've found two plugs on the water pump and presume the one I need is the larger of the two and facing forwards. I can insert my little finger into the hex recess of the plug. After failing to find the Smiths temp gauge I have bought the same eBay one as you did. I'm curious as to the size of the special adaptor you have inherited (male & female threads). The sensor thread might be 1/8" NPT but there is no information about it in the eBay entry. I should be able to turn one up on my lathe.
Hi Paul

I'll take some photos - maybe this eve and update. I went and broke the sensor :dontknow: So have ordered a new one off ebay. It was as cheap to get the whole lot than the sensor alone! - just waiting on that and I'll add the install to my thread

Back