Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

what did I fix?

Melissa

Enthusiast
I found this totally corroded wire coming from my alternator then connecting to the relay sited just to the right of the bonnet catch, the car definitely feels better for the new wire & connection but I actually don't know what this wire does....thoughts please!Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 13.10.19.png Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 13.10.29.png

IMG_8931.JPG Melissa, This is what your wiring at that point should look like, and my car is a 1986 GTL. Where is the 'finned block' which goes on the end of the alternator? There are three red wires in that area- one to the alternator, one to the windscreen washer pump, and another to the brake master cylinder. Any help?

Hi Paul, mine's a 1977 850cc so the alternator is a bit different to yours, I was searching in Haynes 1961-1979 & couldn't find much on alternators ..Mojobaby, as usual threw some light on my head scratching!...& I then realised my car's a late early model, so they were fitted with dynamos initially & only later alternators so there's only a supplement on alternators in my book! The wire connects to the voltage regulator, & now appears to be much improved!

Hi Paul, mine's a 1977 850cc so the alternator is a bit different to yours, The wire connects to the voltage regulator, & now appears to be much improved!

Hi, take a look at my thread concerning my R¤ from 1977 with 850cc engine as yours, hopefully you'll find questions with answers and photos

Back