Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1991 (November) Renault 4GTL QUITE ORDINARY £5000

Neil

Enthusiast
But in extra-ordinary condition. Absolutely rust free. It is advertised elsewhere at the same asking price.
For forum member interested in this car, I will deliver in the price. Wales or England.
Please note, this car is Left Hand Drive20170419_162006.jpg20170419_162050.jpg20170419_162106.jpg20170419_165930.jpg20170419_165954.jpg20170419_170257.jpg20170419_174101.jpg20170419_200203.jpg20170419_200309.jpg

Hello Andy,
You are welcome to view our Quatrelle in Wales anytime after mid-June. We are in Portugal until around 10/06/17.
I drove the car from Portimao (Algarve) to Santander 24/25 April, then on to sunny Carmarthenshire after the 24 hour sea-crossing.
The car was booked for m.o.t at 10.a.m on my first day "home", so the only preparation I had time to complete was:
Clementine's neat little trick to legalise headlamp beam for UK driving;
Move rear fog-lamp to correct side;
Check obligatory lights and indicators.

Ten minutes into the inspection, my m.o.t bloke climbed out from the pit shaking his head, and muttering that he needed a stronger torch, since he had been unable to find a speck of rust anywhere!!
Fifty minutes later, I'm driving out with my test certificate and NO advisories.

2nd May: handed UK registration application form, document bundle and appropriate fee over the counter at DVLA. So I'm expecting to find the V5 in my letterbox when we arrive home.

Please feel free to ask any questions via the forum or you can text me on 07919551077,

Cheers,
Neil

Hello Neil
Just wondering if the car is still for sale?
Thank you
Lianne
Hello Lianne, welcome to the forum.

We are a retired couple who are lucky enough to spend half our time (plus) in the Algarve region of Portugal, where salt is never used on road surfaces. Result:- vehicles that are well maintained last forever.
We have been driving nice examples back to Wales twice annually, and it gives us quite a buzz. We use the cars as our principal mode of transport at home, and they really turn heads. We advertise them "for sale" a few weeks before our next vacation, and each one has gone to the first viewer. This year, demand has exceeded supply, and we feel that we have backed ourselves into a corner. Just as with the humble Piaggio Ape (our second passion), the Portuguese have discovered that Renault 4s have become seriously collectable. Asking prices have spiralled, at a time when sterling is struggling to recover. It's inevitable that bottom-end car dealers will try to "cash-in" by offering neglected vehicles that have sat in barns for too long. I wasted two days last month, travelling hundreds of kilometres to view 2 separate Renault 4s that simply didn't come "up to the mark". I didn't even bother to look underneath. It's fortunate that we have a motorcaravan to go scouting, or there would have been hotel costs as well !
Because of stagnant returns on peoples' savings, all the European car magazines are agreed that quality classics have become an investment opportunity as well as collectors' items, thus pushing values even higher. There is a short waiting list for our Renault 4s, which we hope to reduce this summer.
It is not our aim to profit from the supply of quirky, iconic French utility vehicles. We have to get home from Portugal somehow, so this is an entertaining way of neutralizing our travel costs (fuel; road-tolls; seafreight charges).
Please keep in touch if you would like further information,

Best regards,
Lesley and David Neil

Hi Lesley and Neil,
Thank you for such a nice reply!
All I can say is lucky you! We are looking for a good Renault 4 and as you know good ones are not 10 a penny. OH is a mechanic so that's not an issue but corrosion is. Could you keep us informed regarding any you have available either now or in the future. My number is 07740822069.
Ps. The car would be taken to France to be our run around at our second home so would fit right in!

Kind regards
Lianne and Martin

We are a retired couple who are lucky enough to spend half our time (plus) in the Algarve region of Portugal, where salt is never used on road surfaces. Result:- vehicles that are well maintained last forever.
We have been driving nice examples back to Wales twice annually, and it gives us quite a buzz. We use the cars as our principal mode of transport at home, and they really turn heads. We advertise them "for sale" a few weeks before our next vacation, and each one has gone to the first viewer. This year, demand has exceeded supply, and we feel that we have backed ourselves into a corner. Just as with the humble Piaggio Ape (our second passion), the Portuguese have discovered that Renault 4s have become seriously collectable. Asking prices have spiralled, at a time when sterling is struggling to recover. It's inevitable that bottom-end car dealers will try to "cash-in" by offering neglected vehicles that have sat in barns for too long. I wasted two days last month, travelling hundreds of kilometres to view 2 separate Renault 4s that simply didn't come "up to the mark". I didn't even bother to look underneath. It's fortunate that we have a motorcaravan to go scouting, or there would have been hotel costs as well !
Because of stagnant returns on peoples' savings, all the European car magazines are agreed that quality classics have become an investment opportunity as well as collectors' items, thus pushing values even higher. There is a short waiting list for our Renault 4s, which we hope to reduce this summer.
It is not our aim to profit from the supply of quirky, iconic French utility vehicles. We have to get home from Portugal somehow, so this is an entertaining way of neutralizing our travel costs (fuel; road-tolls; seafreight charges).

Best regards,
Lesley and David Neil

Best regards,
Lesley and David Neil

You are quite right concerning the rising prices in Portugal David, one of the reasons I kept mine. I don't know how far you are prepared to travel or what condition or prices you are prepared to pay but I know quite a few for sale where I am ( central Portugal ), none which seem to be advertised on the usual listings. I saw one in a classic car yard near Castelo Branco last week, a near perfect R4 van with rear side windows in a lovely shade of brown.
But with the rising prices here and the reluctance of the Portuguese to take much off the asking price the Brits are going to be paying top dollar ( and so they should :laughing: )

Hi Lesley and Neil,
Thank you for such a nice reply!
All I can say is lucky you! We are looking for a good Renault 4 and as you know good ones are not 10 a penny. OH is a mechanic so that's not an issue but corrosion is. Could you keep us informed regarding any you have available either now or in the future. My number is 07740822069.
Ps. The car would be taken to France to be our run around at our second home so would fit right in!

Kind regards
Lianne and Martin
Apologies, I read this post second.
Are you considering putting your Quatrelle on French plates.
That would put you at the top of the list.
THE DVLA HAVE GONE WAY O.T.T.

photos next week, or soon after,

Cordialement,
Lesley et David Neil

You are quite right concerning the rising prices in Portugal David, one of the reasons I kept mine. I don't know how far you are prepared to travel or what condition or prices you are prepared to pay but I know quite a few for sale where I am ( central Portugal ), none which seem to be advertised on the usual listings. I saw one in a classic car yard near Castelo Branco last week, a near perfect R4 van with rear side windows in a lovely shade of brown.
But with the rising prices here and the reluctance of the Portuguese to take much off the asking price the Brits are going to be paying top dollar ( and so they should :laughing: )

Small world Potty! (I hope you're keeping that bee sticker for me)
I was at Rio Maior collecting my latest trike from the mayor's father, half of a father and son team seriously committed to restoring 1950's British motorcycles. Why he side-tracked towards a humble Piaggio Ape remains a mystery. But I'm sure you'll agree that it's a splendid result.
It was a full day, and ended dining with my best Ape scout Pedro, who works at Invepe trailers just outside town.
We are based near Portimāo, and I'm no stranger to 3 or 4 day reconnaissance trips involving vehicles who's description doesn't always match the goods, attached to images taken several years ago.

I don't mind paying top dollar for a prime number, and agree, the Portuguese are masters at digging their heels in. But I respect them for that.
If you do stumble on something special on these obscure sites you mention, I'd really appreciate a quick text on 07919551077,
thanks and best regards20170604_084454.jpg20170604_084454.jpg 20170601_113845.jpg20170601_113752.jpg

The Bee sticker is still here, unfortunately the bees are not ( due to the fires:( ). As for your Apes they are amazing, not too many around here. but too many Aixam's or " pension eaters" as the locals call them!
Most of the car's I have seen are with small local dealers and although they are in good states of condition they are asking too much, obviously the better prices are with the private sellers but as you said they are very liberal with the truth concerning condition. But saying that there have been a few going for a good price and a very good condition.
A few of the older people have not cottoned to the fact that their R4's are rising in price rapidly over here, most thinking they cannot get rid of their older car ( The Portuguese like everything to be new and shiny!).
But I will definately contact you in the event of finding anything matching your expectations, I'll take pictures and send you a pm.

Now if anybody is interested in a Simca 1500, Traction Avant, Opel Manta A or a rather fetching Mini Cooper in purple all in lhd and in Portugal.....

Thank you Potty,
I'm on Ryanair to Faro tomorrow, out of Bristol 17:55.
Hope to get support of the IMTT Friday regarding confirmation of dates of first registration on my 2 GTLs.
Will be in touch,
N.

Back