Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 Legend

Bisto

Enthusiast
Hello folks.
We just bought this lovely little machine. An 1984 R4 Legend.
We've to do a few jobs to bring it back as close as possible to original.
Where was the front number plate positioned?
What were the original wheels?
Any photos out there of a Legend when new?
Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks very much.
B.

• 20170917_153441.jpg
    20170917_153441.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 20
Registration plate was on bonnet like earlier 4's. The original wheels were the GTL wheels with metal centres (no centre cap and no Renault logo).
Yours looks pretty original.
The grille had two rows of headlights which was unique to the model. Otherwise I think the model was pretty much an 845cc TL model

Registration plate was on bonnet like earlier 4's. The original wheels were the GTL wheels with metal centres (no centre cap and no Renault logo).
Yours looks pretty original.
The grille had two rows of headlights which was unique to the model. Otherwise I think the model was pretty much an 845cc TL model
Are our wheels the original type?

Those are the right wheels. The car looks quite original and the registration plates suit it I think.

I think it was at the 50th anniversary gathering in Bray

http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/threads/irish-50th-anniversary-meeting.4740/
Yes, that's it.
Those are the right wheels. The car looks quite original and the registration plates suit it I think.

I think it was at the 50th anniversary gathering in Bray

http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/threads/irish-50th-anniversary-meeting.4740/
Yes. That's it. I'm thinking of getting a standard grille, and removing the twin headlights...?

The Legend series were unknown to me so the list of R4 types can be updated.
So far we have:
4GTL
4L
4TL
Apal Muschang
Byebye
Carte Jeune
Clan
Dakar
Export
F4 / Fourgonnette (tolée, vitrée, sobre-elevada)
F6
Farma (GR)
Funny (D)
Frog (I)
Jogging (F, D)
JP4
Legend (IRL)
Mini Van (Uruguay)
Parisienne
Pickup
Plein Air
R3
Rodeo
Safari
Salü (D, 1988)
Savane
Servis (YU)
Shopping (B)
Sinpar (4 x 4)
Sixties
Suissaquatre
Super
Taiga / tarentelle / toundra
(With thanks to Hanz from the Dutch R4-club)

Regards, Joop

Yes, that's it.

Yes. That's it. I'm thinking of getting a standard grille, and removing the twin headlights...?

That would be a terrible shame, but it's your car. All Renault 4 Legends came with the grille incorporating an extra set of headlights, so this is an original feature.

The grilles were manufactured in Germany.

That would be a terrible shame, but it's your car. All Renault 4 Legends came with the grille incorporating an extra set of headlights, so this is an original feature.

The grilles were manufactured in Germany.
Yes, to keep it original we'd have to keep the twin lights, which we probably will. Have you any more details on the Legend?

Yes, to keep it original we'd have to keep the twin lights, which we probably will. Have you any more details on the Legend?

I understood this edition was released to mark the end of the car's production in Ireland in 1984 though the last model produced was actually a red GTL). I have also heard conflicting information that it was a marketing campaign to take advantage of the R4's appearance in a film that was released that year (Romancing the Stone). Possibly both?

Each model came with a tent.

My grandmother had a gold metallic one (the same shade as the third R5 on this page - http://www.renault-5.net/gtl80-84.htm) and I distinctly remember the second set of headlights.

There was a french guy called Guillaume in Cork who sold coffee out of the back of an F6 who was restoring one, though I subsequently saw it for sale as an unfinished project.
https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2055959187?

There were other special editions sold in Ireland including Rodeo and Safari, which were completely different from the French versions.

I understood this edition was released to mark the end of the car's production in Ireland in 1984 though the last model produced was actually a red GTL). I have also heard conflicting information that it was a marketing campaign to take advantage of the R4's appearance in a film that was released that year (Romancing the Stone). Possibly both?

Each model came with a tent.

My grandmother had a gold metallic one (the same shade as the third R5 on this page - http://www.renault-5.net/gtl80-84.htm) and I distinctly remember the second set of headlights.

There was a french guy called Guillaume in Cork who sold coffee out of the back of an F6 who was restoring one, though I subsequently saw it for sale as an unfinished project.
https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2055959187?

There were other special editions sold in Ireland including Rodeo and Safari, which were completely different from the French versions.
Thanks for the information. Do you know what colour the bumpers were?

Good morning JdeW,
Regarding your list of Renault 4 models, I have a 1986 4 GTL RALLE.
I have never come across any others like this but thought that I would let you know.
Best wishes
Charles

• 220.JPG
    220.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 6
Hey Charles, not sure on the Ralle detail, I am also in Hampshire - where about's are you...

Hello Richard I'm in North Hampshire near J5 M3, near Hook.
Best wishes
Charles

Im not that far away.... down in the New Forest, how long have you owned yours ?

About 2.5 years Richard. We used to own a Renault 6 in the 1980s which sadly succumbed to the inevitable rust.
We were giving a lift to a disabled hitch hiker from Brighton to Wokingham when one of the rear doors fell off. He had to keep the door secured via the strap for the entire rest of the journey !!
This 4GTL was owned by a lovely lady who was given it as her engagement present in 2003. She got married in it but then moved to Denmark and found that it was too expensive to keep a second car there. So it was kept in her parents' garage in Cambridge until I heard that it was for sale in 2015 so I bought it blind and had it trailored over to Hampshire.
It has a huge history file and has only done 40k miles so a real result !
It has so far been used for 2 of my childrens' weddings too !!
Best wishes
Charles

Wow sounds like you have had some Renault adventures... I have been slowly bringing my 1989 import backup to it's former glory and loving the reactions I get when I drive it about - even when I fill up with fuel I get stopped and have people chatting to me about it. Will have to see if we can arrange a Hampshire meet up one day ..

Hi Bisto et al I'd never heard of the Legend but I have seen the front grill with a double headlight on a couple of 4l's in France - I would love to get my hands on one - So if anyone has a front grill with the double headlights for sale let me know

Giles

Back