Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1984 R4 F4 Van

Hi Tom. I've fitted a 32 IF carb to the GTL from a R5, and the manifold had a tapped hole for a brake servo vacuum pipe, so I used that. The hole is ahead and inboard of the carb flange, and there might be enough thickness of metal to drill and tap the standard 4 manifold there.

Regards, Brian.

Last edited:
Hi Tom. I've fitted a 32 IF carb to the GTL from a R5, and the manifold had a tapped hole for a brake servo vacuum pipe, so I used that. The hole is just ahead and slightly outboard of the carb flange, and there might be enough thickness of metal to drill and tap the standard 4 manifold there.

Regards, Brian.
Hello Brian
Understood. Thanks for that information. Appreciated.
Regards
Tom

Brian
The cigarette lighter adapters, I am assuming?
Can I enquire where they came from please. My research has not uncovered the ones you have.
Regards
Tom

I am also looking for USB sockets that bolt direct to the dashboard instead of using an adapter and 12 volt socket. I found one but it was too expensive.

I am also looking for USB sockets that bolt direct to the dashboard instead of using an adapter and 12 volt socket. I found one but it was too expensive.
Item 171547184638 at GBP7.08 on ebay.co.uk. Is this what you are seeking maybe?

That will do nicely - I am just tired of the USB adapters never fitting correctly and turning off, pain when you only have an iPhone and a bluetooth speaker in the car.

cheers
Ian

Hi Tom, the 12volt sockets are made by Durite, and were supplied by S.E.D. LTD of Guildford, tel 01483 538038. They also have a website. They also supplied the Durite instruments. Regards Brian.

Hi Tom, the 12volt sockets are made by Durite, and were supplied by S.E.D. LTD of Guildford, tel 01483 538038. They also have a website. They also supplied the Durite instruments. Regards Brian.

Hello Brian
Thanks for the information. Appreciated
Regards
Tom

Hi Tom, sorry I'm confused, it's my age. I ordered the sockets and gauges from a firm called Auto Electrical Parts UK, but they seemed to come from S.E.D. LTD, so I guess there's a tie up somewhere. Hope this helps you. Brian.

Hi Tom, sorry I'm confused, it's my age. I ordered the sockets and gauges from a firm called Auto Electrical Parts UK, but they seemed to come from S.E.D. LTD, so I guess there's a tie up somewhere. Hope this helps you. Brian.
Hello Brian
Please do not mention age, at 72 I am fully aware of it's impact. At least I do not wonder halfway up a staircase if I was going up or down. We live in a bungalow!!
I generally have used Vehicle Wiring Products for my requirements and they do not seem to list that Durite product. Have now downloaded the Durite catalogue so am totally up to speed now.
Have a good Easter
Regards
Tom

Hi Tom, sorry about that. The part no for the 12volt socket is 060101. Hope like me you are growing older (dis) gracefully. You have a good Easter too buddy. Regards Brian.

Amongst Easter weekend, family and visitors have managed to fit the reversing light switch. Also adjusted wiring at rear of van, for my light location under the rear bumper not in rear door. Still to be tidied up but 95% done.

Not a lot to show for some hours put in.
Reversing lights working OK. Electric windscreen washer motor works, but is not drawing liquid from existing container??
Some other wiring tidied up in preparation for adding radio with USB playback capability; voltmeter and electric oil pressure gauge.
Looking at adding a vacuum gauge in future.
Hopefully more next week, if family commitments relax a bit.

Apologies Tom, I gave you incorrect information concerning the position of the vacuum gauge take-off on my car. It should read (on the manifold), ahead and inboard of the carb flange. Sorry about that. I see you are doing a few mods, great stuff. Regards, Brian.

I was intending to maybe use an adapter 'gasket' for the vacuum gauge takeoff.
Speedograph Richfield do a range of them for different carbs.
Picture attachedmfa-1.jpg

OK people. Been busy and after some racking of brain have got an universal DIN holder fixed in for the radio / USB etc., player.
Also got location for voltmeter and oil pressure gauge sorted out and 'first fixed'.
Additionally 1 hole cut out for a cigarette lighter outlet. Am also considering a dual USB outlet as well. There is room without interfering with operation of windscreen wiper motor.
Picture attached of work in progress.DSC08957.JPG

DSC08961.JPG DSC08963.JPG More ongoing to the van.
Electric after-market windscreen washer system mounted vertically with my Forth Road Bridge structure.

Additionally vacuum gauge located, some fettling needed. Pioneer 180W 100mm speakers fit nicely in the parcel shelf.
Gradually getting to where I want the vehicle to be.:whistle:

Back