Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1985 Silver R4 GTL for sale in Herts - Patinated original condition

snailshed

Enthusiast
Hi All,
After some procrastination, I have decided to put my R4 GTL up far sale. I love the old thing but I'm still trying to thin out my fleet of classics down to manageable numbers given I want to buy a house and can pretty much stretch to something that will come with one allocated parking space! Damn those SE house prices!

Anyway, I have put the car on ebay so the full advert is here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/172314046396?

but to give you some details:
  • 1985 R4 GTL, in silver with the grey / red tartan interior.
  • 118k miles, five owners inc me, with partial service history, original dealer handbook, service stamp book, and number plate. Two sets of keys.
  • Years Mot to 7th Aug 2017
  • Recently recommisioned after five years in storage following a head gasket change, and much fettling by my local bodyshop, to replace front wings and put the chassis right with various repairs. Just been fully serviced and runs / drives great.
  • Bodily, partially de GTL'd with loads of chrome work, 60's front grille, fergat pressed steel wheels and new interior trim though no irreversible changes
  • Body is mostly original paint and heavily patinated with 31 years of gentle use, but covered in minor scratches, dents, rust pinspots and signs of use.
  • Car is in Kimpton, near St Albans in Hertfordshire
  • I'm on 07765 713967, or drop me a PM to discuss the car.
It's on a reserve auction on ebay, with reserve set at £4k. It's hard to accurately value as so few turn up that are not LHD or restoration projects, so started at 99p to see what the market is prepared to pay. Fundamentally I want the car to go to a good home and be looked after, so would kind of prefer it to go to a forum member ideally.

Not mentioned in the ebay advert, but if it sells, I'll then be listing a Renault Twingo mk1 full sunroof in blue that I didn't have the heart to cut the roof open to fit, and a pack of rare spares (chrome waist trim set, chrome love handles, 60's steering wheel and 60's badges etc) though Jonathan may have first refusal on the chrome waist trim set. If anyone wants to throw in interest for any of the other bits then drop me a pm.

Thanks,20160821_12291220160821_10.JPG 20160821_12294320160821_13.JPG

Hi folks. Well I've only been and gawn and done it!! I'm now the new owner of snailsheds GTL. I've just driven her back to Cornwall, over 300 miles and she didn't miss a beat, and she is now tucked up for the night in the garage.

Excellent news, Brian. So pleased that you've got another 4 and it looks like a brilliant one too.
Hope to see it one day!
Enjoy it!

Thank you chaps for your kind words. I think the Kent meeting will be her first chance to meet her relatives. Twingo roof? Sorry Robert I'm going to pass on that, I'm like snailshed, I haven't the heart to take the tin-snips to her. Great to be back in the fold though.

My exact thoughts about the twingo roof. It was intended for the sinpar. But the body I put on it was so good that it is a pity to cut out the perfectly good roof.

Welcome back. And good luck with your new wheels Brian.

Best of luck with the car Brian. More than anything I am pleased that she has gone to a forum member, and that you understand what you are taking on and will keep her in the manner that she expects. I hope she repays you with lots of fond memories, as she has done for me.

Thanks snailshed, she will be well looked after, and all being well a trip to France is on the cards for July. Tres bien!

Last edited:
well done Brian, good to see you have a new baby( nice car) and hope to see you both at the Kent meet:clapping: .mike.

Well done and you probably feel at home straight away in the R4 with it's familiar surroundings :laughing: and with a bit a luck see you at Kent and Thenay this year, just starting another F6 for the trip to Thenay :whistle:

Bobble, A very nice looking car but I don't want to spoil your day both those French-style numberplates are illegal. It's no skin off my nose either way but I'd hate it for you to get stopped and some over eager Traffic Office stuck you on for it. There are strict regulations as to size, style and shape of numberplates and their lettering, and they don't comply, mate.

Thank you chaps. You are right bobble, I immediately felt at home as soon as I sat behind the wheel, it's great to get my hands on a R4 again. As for the plates Paul, I'm going to risk it for the "look". Looking forward to catching up with you guys in Kent or Thenay or both. Regards Brian.

I agree with you, even though in my previous 'life' I couldn't say that. I like the look too. I see that P&O have reintroduced their cheap day trip prices from Dover to Calais - £38 plus six bottles of vino too.

£38 Paul, that's a bargain. I always go to France via Plymouth- Roscoff, it costs a whole lot more, but saves that long drive to Dover from Cornwall. Then it's a nice leisurely drive through Brittany. Lovely

Paul, technically illegal but went through Mot like it, as did every 2cv I own with them too... The car was designed for the French plate. I can't imagine I'm the only person where the plastic UK numberplate at the front is cracked where it gets crushed by the little hump in the middle as they are too big.

Funny story about that as some years ago I was driving my standard rhd 2cv with a set of French pressed plates on and was pulled by some coppers. Clearly fooled them as I'm busy looking out the drivers window waiting to chat to them and they come tapping the nearside windows expecting lhd! Let me go on my way afterwards with no comment, as I think they were a tad embarrassed. Happy days!

Back