Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1990 R4TL carb

arcturus 2

Hi, returning to forum after long absence. I live in Portugal and have three classic cars, one being the 4TL, my wife's shopping trolley ! I think that the carb needs an overhaul and I need to buy a repair kit for it. I believe that it's a Zenith 28 IF. can anybody confirm that the carb would be fitted to this model. I can't find ant numbers on the body. Also where would be the best place to purchase parts on line? Also the vacuum pipe with a T on it which goes into the valve cover from carb' body.
Thank's in advance. Arcturus.2PB240110_02 (2).jpg

I'm not sure it's possible to accurately identify the carb model from the type of Renault 4. It's far better to identify the exact carb itself. You may need to take off the air filter housing, but it should be possible to see the carb model number stamped into the side of it. This post might help you identify where on the carb the model number is:
http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/threads/zenith-28-carburettor.5547/#post-32781

According to the Revue Technique Automobile, the late TLs [112 C, 956 cm3, C1C -708 engine], had the Zenith 28IF type V05086.
I'm not sure how many parts you need to replace, but for a basic gasket/needle valve kit Melun Rétro Passion is far cheaper than the Portuguese company. You might find a similar kit on eBay.
I'm not sure how much scrapyards are charging these days, but it might be worth trying a good used carb.

www.melun-retro-passion.com/4l/RE_04/pochette-carburateur-complete-zenith-28-if-r4l-r4-jts-cuve-jt-base-pointeau-id-28IFC.html

Hello Arcturus. These are very simple carburettors, no diaphragm, just a very basic jet arrangement. The float valve usually needs replacing, and gaskets too can let air in. The butterfly spindle can wear too, causing the carb to run very weak, and replacing the carb is then the only option, although on my first 4 I opened up the main jet to 1mm to richen the mixture, which worked quite well.
BTW, your car looks beautiful, I like the colour scheme you've used. Your wife is very lucky to have such a nice shopping trolley :clapping:

Last edited:
That's strange. I have before me a copy of the parts book which I obtained from "Der Franzose" which clearly shows in the re build kit,a diaphragm. Also sold separately for Zenith 28 IF &28 IFP. I Haven't striped the carb down yet so I can't say one way or another. I suspect a diaphragm as I was thinking that it would be linked to the accelerator jet and my problem is hesitancy on acceleration. I don't have any experience with Zenith carbs.Give me a good old fashioned SU carb' any time.

Ah yes I see, I've just checked the MRP catalogue, you are right. Yes I much prefer an SU carb. I have seen one fitted to a 4 engine, worked well I believe.

On the Spanish build R4 you might find a zenith 28 with an accelerator pump with a diaphragm.
On the French cars no accelerator pump. I don’t know about the Portuguese cars.

The accelerator pump is situated on the left side of the carburetor.
The side facing the inner wing.
Of you don’t see a meganism more or less close to the float chamber. You won’t need a diaphragm.

Check the nut that attaches the half moon like plate to the butterfly spindle. If it is loose. The car also runs like a wet rag.

Thanks harbourseal, I was sure my carb didn't have an accelerator pump, but I was beginning to doubt my memory owing to my age.:whistle:

I think that ours is a Yugoslavian built model. Any way I will know when I strip it out. Just waiting for repair kit first. BTW what is that valve?like thing with a connector in the top right of photo?carb tube.jpg carb tube.jpg

Do you mean this? Isn't that the temperature (overheating) sensor (warning light on dashboard)?
sensor.jpg

Before you start stripping down the carburetor you might want to look at the T- Joint first. The thing in the picture with all the tape around it.
If that is taking in air from it's surrounding, your car runs like a wet rag.

In other words go look for false air intake by running the car at idle and spraying all the joints with wd40 or brake cleaner.

It also looks like the tape is touching the accelerator cable you might have a problem there to.
The small piece of pipe that runs to the manifold is supposed to have a restriction in it. If it isn't there you also get a to lean mixture.

http://www.renault4onderdelen.nl/Webwinkel-Product-162796363/Carterventilatie-verloopstuk-T.html

A replacement T-joint isn't that expensive and less work then stripping the carb.

Good luck.

Thanks, I had looked at the T joint and repaired it with epoxy as I couldn't find a replacement will have a good look through the link and see If they also have the vacuum pipes. The thing is that the car runs all right when it gets going but falters on acceleration from stand still. I don't know this carb and assumed that it had an accelerator jet, like I had on my old beetle carb. That got blocked from time to time and gave the same symptoms. I think that the whole carb system needs overhauling.

Can you give me a link to the web shop if they have one please.Attached, two of my other cars

• 11223964_963431533698715_8257316138818890932_n (2).jpg
    11223964_963431533698715_8257316138818890932_n (2).jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1442 (2).jpg
    1442 (2).jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 0
Back