Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

32 carb, another question.

Azazello

habitué
I have an 800 engine ( 845cc) with a 28 zenith carb; I also have manifold and carb from a later tl, a zenith 32if7. Will it be of any good to exchange the carb? The engine already claimed to have 34 cv...
Do you have any experience on this side?

Hello Andrea, while I don't claim to be an expert on these matters, I'm pretty sure the 845cc engine was normally fitted with the 32if7 carb. A friends F4 has one fitted which looks to be original. Replacing a 28mm with a 32mm does make a difference in power as borne out by the improvement to be found when the mod is done to a 1108cc GTL.

Regards, Brian.

Thanks for your reply, Brian. .. in Italy not all 845 tl had the 32 carb... latest (from 80s) do, but models from end of 70s had 28 carb... and sometimes they have on the docume ts the same power, even with different carb! In a few days I hope to get My hands on a f4 which has the 28 carb and show you some photos...

I find it all very confusing Andrea, these cars all seemed to have different specs didn't they depending on which country they were either built in, or destined for. Looking forward to seeing the pics of your new acquisition.

Regards, Brian.

This carb was fitted together with a vacuum advance distributor and a different camshaft (slightly milder). Although maximum power remained the same, you can feel that the engine pulls noticeably stronger at the low to mid range.
Bear in mind that there were at least two different heads, later ones had larger diameter inlet ports. If you have the early head, chances are that the ports are small, and therefore you can't take the full benefit of the 32mm carb.

Mmm... I think the f4 has the former kind, it is from 1981... but the 75 export already has a 32 carb... do its head differ from others?
At the end, Angel, is that a modification that you would advise or not? There will be any improvement?

If by "improvement" you mean top speed, it won't do any difference. If you mean "flexibiity", it will be better. If you mean "economy", generally it will be worse. Not because it is larger, but because it has an acceleration pump and it is not as forgiving to a "careless" right foot.
On the carb side of the head, among the head fixing bolts, there is a cast number in a circle. Can you check it on both cars? I am doing a survey for cylinder head identification.

Sure I can. Tomorrow on the export, in a couple of weeks on the f4 cause it is not still in my hands...
But since I bought them as "used" I cannot tell you if head or whole engine was changed during car life...

96jhco.jpg

Is there another number? Reason I ask is that I have seen "34" on later heads, "27" on early, and I remember seeing a "29" at some time. It could be referring to the engine power, if it is not coincidental.

not seen it... will have a better look. If I am right this export has 34hp.,.

This carb was fitted together with a vacuum advance distributor and a different camshaft (slightly milder). Although maximum power remained the same, you can feel that the engine pulls noticeably stronger at the low to mid range.
Bear in mind that there were at least two different heads, later ones had larger diameter inlet ports. If you have the early head, chances are that the ports are small, and therefore you can't take the full benefit of the 32mm carb.

here I am again Angel
ok I have all my engine in parts Im about to clean and paint the engine block
but you mention something very important here, and now Im curious about it,
my r4 its a solvenian built in 1991 and the exported to Portugal
I brought it brand new with 0 km
Im curious if I will take the full benefit of the 32mm carb
I brought a r5 camshaft to replace my original r4 so i can take full benefict of the 32 mm carb but I didnt knew at the time about inlet ports because Im not a mechanic.
So at this time, my head its beeing rectifyed at a professional, can you please help me to know if my inlet ports are smaller ones or the bigger ones?

We were talikng about the 845cc heads back then, on the large engine the 32mm carburettor is always good news...

Back