Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

5 mk2 1989 Headlight removal???

Hedge

So here I am with all these years of hard-won wisdom and early dementia, and I'm not sure how to get the headlight assembly out of a simple old car!
I see they are in two parts; (the silvering has gone on the inner), but do I really have to take the wing off to get the lens by it?!
Or maybe I take the plastic grille off and the slack in the bolt holes gets the lens beyond the clutches of the wing's front edge?
Help? Please? :)

So here I am with all these years of hard-won wisdom and early dementia, and I'm not sure how to get the headlight assembly out of a simple old car!
I see they are in two parts; (the silvering has gone on the inner), but do I really have to take the wing off to get the lens by it?!
Or maybe I take the plastic grille off and the slack in the bolt holes gets the lens beyond the clutches of the wing's front edge?
Help? Please? :)
Lo

Firstly loosen off the indicator lens of the side you want (contained by spring loaded wire which you will identify as a wire loop under the light unit within the engine compartment).

By pulling the indicator partially out from its position there will be enough room to pull out the light unit once the 4 nuts retaining it have been undone and the wiring disconnected.

From memory I don't think I needed to remove the grill (which is retained by 3 screws and would be easy enough to do).

The headlight will pull out easily enough although I don't know if it will split as I just bought a complete unit when I replaced mine.

Make sure when replacing the unit to insure that you don't lose any of the washers and that the unit is seated fully as the angle of beam depends on it seating properly,although there are the necessary adjustment screws to correct any maladjustment.

Hope that helps.

Jonathan, my humble apologies for the very late reply. Thxs for the wisdom. Car sorted, and finally through its foreign test today after five years off road.
Other than the initial headlight puzzle, this must be the easiest car ever to fix.

Back