image.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    235.4 KB · Views: 10
I do hope you can get the attachment for the ventilator off the back of the engine.
Have no clew how it is attached to the crankshaft. Maybe you'll have to get another crankshaft and timing chain cover to make it fit.
If you leave it the engine won't fit.

You also will need another flywheel. This one won't take a clutch.

It looks quite unused. Brand spanking new. Good find.

You need an existing rear cam cover, or weld a plate over the hole for the hydraulic drive. If I can remember rightly, the hydraulic drive just bolts to the camshaft drive cog. Yes you will need a flywheel, but it just fits as the original. I put one of these into my F6 in Spain and it runs so sweetly and is so much more economical than my old one, plus it doesn't drip oil. This one was a lot freer than the one I used, which was incredibly stiff when I came to start it. There is just one more left in the barn. The manifold needs changing as does the rocker cover, or re-fashion the carburettor cable mounting. The only real modificationwas to cut a lump off the bottom left hand corner of the crankcase. This was obviously done in the factory for the car/van engines, as one can see a sheered off lump of casting in the bottom corner. No time at all with an angle grinder.

For readers I consider myself very lucky to now own this smashing engine bought via Jeepman but ultimately from Tim1Casa. Im sure you can explain better Tim but as I understand it its a Renault 4 engine 688 Cie (Thats for certain) bought ex Ransomes lawnmowers as excess stock/ redundant NOS. Intended for a lawnmower aimed at the French Market. Was never used and has been sitting in a barn ever since. Now dirty and rusty but totally new and untouched on the inside. A close inspection reveals the slightest trace of smoke on the exhaust ports but none at all in the manifold suggesting it was fired up on the bench before being dispatched.

Tim i intend to weld up the rear timing chain cover and modify the Rocker box cover - copying the one on Womble so I can fit a Zenith 28if carb or maybe something similar.

Yes I noticed how the rear corners are cut off. This is identical to Wombles engine and makes clearance for the bulkhead. I intend to investigate that power take off point soon. I suspect it is a modified cog or a bolted on gadget. Logic suggests the latter as the whole reason for using a Renault 4 engine was familiarity with the existing target audience and of course to use an off the peg french engine.

Idea is is to start collecting bits for a future project - getting every part up to scratch so when the project does get the go ahead I have all the bits ready to bolt on.

Mike4GTL is going to put extra hardened valve seats in it and balance up the crank later this year.

Please do not modify this rocker cover. If you want to hot the engine up with a 32mm carburettor you need this cover. I have a spare rocker cover for a GTL engine that I can take with me to the Kent meeting if you want. But Please leave this one as it is!!!!!!!!
The same engine has been used in Agria lawnmowers and small tractors. In my landscape gardening scholing we had to work on the same engines. I didn't take notice at the time but learned a lot and remembered a lot when I bought my first Renault 4.

Ok Harbourseal I wont... I did think an alternative carb might make use of the fitting especially if its a Solex - and i have one of those. thank you for the advice Yes Im really hoping to get to Kent and meet you all :drunk:

Back