Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Additional side panel window

Tomcat

Enthusiast
I am thinking about adding small side panel windows to my F4.
Has anyone done this before please?
Thanks for any information

Hi there Tomcat! my F4 had these from birth! but shouldn't be a big problem.If you have another one nearby,make a simple template
of the opening,have the glass made locally and buy the rubbers from aftermarked rubbers sold by the yard.
measure the thickness of the panel and make sure you get the closest size to fit over edge of panel.
My advice is to joint it at 12o'clock (less water will collect and stay at 12:00 -use some sikaflex or other to get it properly closed..
so no water seeps through.
Also Do use some paint to cover the cut-out you made or it Will rust under there!
-You may also ofcourse look for the orig parts on ebay/LBC or the scrappers .Shouldn't cost a fortune -Reid.

I'd like them too, at crossroads it's really dangerous not seeing what's happening around you... the original ones have a reinforced metal frame, so you should cut and weld the body portion...

Hi there Tomcat! my F4 had these from birth! but shouldn't be a big problem.If you have another one nearby,make a simple template
of the opening,have the glass made locally and buy the rubbers from aftermarked rubbers sold by the yard.
measure the thickness of the panel and make sure you get the closest size to fit over edge of panel.
My advice is to joint it at 12o'clock (less water will collect and stay at 12:00 -use some sikaflex or other to get it properly closed..
so no water seeps through.
Also Do use some paint to cover the cut-out you made or it Will rust under there!
-You may also ofcourse look for the orig parts on ebay/LBC or the scrappers .Shouldn't cost a fortune -Reid.
Hi there
Thanks for your comments. Can you advise width of your glass please.
Think suggestion of some stiffener by Azazello is very sound.
Regards
Tom

Hi again Tomcat. Unfortunately I don't have access to Roffen the F4 right now so can't measure openings.
I'm sure there's someone on here that can help you with this -Reid.

Hi Tom, if you need any other photos, or dimensions, let me know.

Tom
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to not only measure but take pictures too.
Inside picture is of particular interest.
Best regards
Tom

Did have some of these I cut out of french van with frames sadly I think they got thrown out

Yesterday I went to see an 1986 F4 van with side windows that is for sale. It was near enough to make the trip worthwhile.
Was able to see exactly how the side panel is totally different and why Mr Reno was talking about a cut out being necessary.
Think I will abandon my plan?:doh:

Just seen picture of Will's Van in Cumbria.
Side window seems wider than Edtom's and one I saw yesterday.
Where there different widths? F4 or F6 maybe??
Anyone know.:confused:

Sorry so much stuff got cleared from barn in short time and no idea what happened to them
How about morris minor van rear windows or similar
Probably easier to find

Sorry so much stuff got cleared from barn in short time and no idea what happened to them
How about morris minor van rear windows or similar
Probably easier to find
Hi Paul
I feel side panels are not stiff enough to take flat glass without some form of stiffening.
Obviously nothing is impossible but maybe cost in the end will make it too expensive??
Regards
Tom

Tom, let me know if you want me to measure my side windows. They look like they were fitted from new. They make a big difference pulling out of junctions.

Tom, let me know if you want me to measure my side windows. They look like they were fitted from new. They make a big difference pulling out of junctions.
Hi Will
Thanks for the offer. I have actually viewed a vehicle now fitted with side windows and taken measurements.
It appears a more complex arrangement than just cutting a hole.
Thinking about doing it at the moment.
Regards
Tom

Back