Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Annual Service

Paul Narramore

pre-moderated
I know, what else could I do on the hottest day of the year? It was 34C on the patio and probably be the hottest day of the year. On with the red boiler suit - I don't want to get dirty - and off to the local car parts factor to load up with service items. I have almost given up going to Halfords as so often, they just don't have what I'm after.

No please don't take umbrage with me. This is my way of doing a service and may not be quite the same with everyone else. I service our cars and motorbikes once a year, irrespective of the mileage is, so between Easter and July I tend to change everything more or less whether it's necessary or not. The cars mileage today is 76,727miles so since the last service on 25 July last year, she's done 2,808miles. Now I am certain that most things could quite happily go for another year before requiring to be replaced, but I've changed everything. With a long, hot drive next month to Thenay in the Loire Valley followed by a track across France and Spain into Portugal, followed by a drive north to Santander, I want the engine to be spot on, partly for peace of mind and partly to confound my friends and neighbours who cannot believe Renée will make it.

Arriving back with the spares, it's under the hot engine on the hottest day of the year to undo the squareheaded drain plug (10mm open ended spanner). Not a lot of oil came out. Doh! This is the transmission oil! Never mind it's a bit dirty so I've changed it anyway. Then the engine drain plug (13mm spanner). Hmm, the engine oil is filthy, a bit sad especially after 2,808 miles. Off with the oil filter and what a b****ard of a job it is to gain access to it. I have a special tool which consists of a spring steel hoop and a threaded rod. Tighten up the knurled knob on the end tightens the spring steel which grips around the outside of the oil filter. Well it should do except the hoop was too long so required shortening and a new hole drilled into it for the grub screw. Once done, the access around it is so restricted, that it had to be undone a little at a time before finishing off by hand. New filter, oil the rubber seal, clean around the seating on the side of the engine and fit back on. Hand tight is sufficient.

Plugs. Last year I fitted NGK BPR7HIX but the shop didn't have any so supplied me with BP5HS instead. The only difference seems to be that the old plugs had needle-like central terminals whilst the new plugs conventional ones. If access to the oil filter was poor, it was even worse with the plugs. With Tippex I number my HT leads 1, 2, 3 and 4 starting from the radiator end, so as not to mix them up. No4 plug, not too bad. A smear of Copaslip on the plug threads before refitting them. No3 plug OK. No2 plug, OMG, the socket extensions clash with the side of the distributor so I have to fit the plug by hand, then add the plug socket and then with the extensions at a very not engineering angle, get just enough purchase on the socket to tighten it. No1 plug is almost hidden by the alternator bracket too but was do-able, just.

Engine oil. Topped up to the maximum mark and the engine allowed to run for a few minutes before a bit more added.

Petrol filter - I had fitted a small plastic filter last year but a much larger one this time so the retaining clip actually retains it.

All finished, although I did not have enough gearbox oil to properly fill the transmission so another run down to the factors is required. Fortunately we have two cars. I bought an old car as I quite enjoy the chores and they are simple to work on, but I can't say this morning was too enjoyable. With salty sweat running into my eyes and oily hands slipping on the chrome plated tools, and the damned heat, I should have found some shade and read a good book, still it's done now. Peace of mind and all of that ;-)

Spark plugs - NGK BP5HS
Oil filter - WIX WL 7254
Petrol filter - WIX WF8127
Sump plug crush washer - Wotnots PWN722
Engine oil - Comma X-Flow 20W-50
Diff Gearbox Oil - EP80W/90 GL5

(PS Just minutes ago I received a telephone call to say that yesterday's viewers have made a firm offer on our house, and which we have accepted. Deep joy!)

Just a reminder before everyone rushes out and quotes your oil filter reference number
Cars built pre 84 use imperial threads 3/4 unf
84onwards use metric M20
This is not always correctly referenced in parts catalogue also not everybody knows how old car and or engine is
M20 oil filter screws on but usually falls off if fitted to unf thread

Aha I had the same issue ! purchased the 3/4unf only to find the larger M20 on my 1989 motor - quick trip to the motor factors and £3.99 later and it was job done.

No please don't take umbrage with me. This is my way of doing a service and may not be quite the same with everyone else. I service our cars and motorbikes once a year, irrespective of the mileage is, so between Easter and July I tend to change everything more or less whether it's necessary or not.

I'm with you on that! My Citroën's service schedule recommends oil changes every 9,000 miles, so I change it every 5,000, together with the filter; there's no interval given for the A.T.F., so I drain the A.T.F. sump every 5,000 miles too. It doesn't change all of it, but over the years the condition of the A.T.F. has improved and the gear changes are much smoother. I change the plugs never 10,000 miles, regardless of their condition and likewise the air & fuel filters. I know this is totally "over the top" service-wise, my Citroën's done 200,000 miles, still moves like a stabbed rat when asked to and is off once again the France in a few weeks, to collect "a few bottles" of the local vino......

IMG_9045.JPG. This sticker was on the car when I bought her and was most likely stuck on the air filter as I painted that. A handy reminder. I wonder if they are still available?

Back