Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Anti freeze

Sage103

Gordon
My R4 has spent so long in my garage while I manage to find odd moments to work on it that it needs a change of antifreeze. Currently it's got old style ethylene glycol-based blue antifreeze but I have a ready supply of orange OAT bought in excess for my Discovery. Does anyone have any reason not to change to the orange stuff? After a good flush out obviously!

I've recently switched my Citroen to the new "orange" (although it looked more pink then orange) anti-freeze, without any adverse effects. I did flush copiously and thoroughly several times though! I've noticed my heater works better (MUCH better) now although I realise this could have been caused by the flushing as opposed to the different anti-freeze. What's more important than which type you use is that you do change it regularly as it looses its anti freeze properties over time. Most sources suggest a change every two years, with which I agree!

It is not recommended for old engines it can attack the gaskets . i would stick to glycol and a good brand.

It is not recommended for old engines it can attack the gaskets . i would stick to glycol and a good brand.
Won't be too long before I need to buy some ...any suggestions of make ?

Stick with normal Blue glycol if you don't want any problems...

Whichever you prefer, both will do the job admirably

I asked the local motor factors about this the other day and he recommended the new 5-year orangey-pink coolant with OAT*. Apparently it is the same glycol base but with longer lasting anti-crud additives and is fine in old or new engines.

*Make sure you get OAT not OATS because porridge is a very poor antifreeze.

Back