Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

At last! A reason to introduce myself properly!

Bertl

Goißatreiber
Hello everybody,

I have had ample opportunity to receive some of the help and wisdom of the forum, but as of tonight I can finally reckon myself a full member of the forum.
As there's no cat this end, I had to drag the thing all the way from Rouen myself ... :rolleyes:
Anyway, me and the yet-unnamed car ...
I'm Robert, I live in Bavaria, Germany near Augsburg where I also work.
Renaultitis was probably transmitted by my father (who owned several from the late 60s onwards until a 1st generation Megane seems to have been a final cure for this particular sickness). In 89 my first car was a beige 81 TL, I had two further TLs in the 90s (both lost to accidents).
Now a chance presented itself to have a second car in the family, and SWMBO must have noticed the pining and didn't object to getting another R4. :hug:

After searching several weeks on Ebay and Leboncoin I got into contact with a guy selling a '78 GTL in Rouen, the pix looked nice and the car had been CT'd at the end of October '08.
So after some emails to and fro and acquiring a French temporary insurance I set off Monday morning by TGV from Augsburg via Paris.
I got picked up by the guy at Rouen station, we headed (in the R4) to his house and looked at his stock of spare parts that I was to receive together with the car.

We had a little chat, agreed on the price and off I went.

I went from Rouen to Paris where I spent the night ... and look where a wrong turn took me.

• _P1010532.jpg
    _P1010532.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 342

After a good night's sleep in Paris I completed the last leg of the journey, ca. 960 kms altogether and arrived home today in the late afternoon. The pug in the back is my father's so you can imagine his frustration with his last Renault and the Renault dealer ...

• _P1010540.jpg
    _P1010540.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
The car is a '78 GTL with some nice extras, although I'm not sure if I'll keep it that way:
- LED rev counter
- Anti-Theft device
- Electronic ignition
- analog clock (in the dash)
- 12V socket (in the dash)

The VERY NICE GUY handed over the car filled up to the brim and recently serviced.

I can't find the paint code, it's a mentos like light blueish-green.

I had a smooth ride, although the carb seems to be set a bit too lean (the car is a bit hesitant, especially in 4th but pulls away nicely if I pull the choke ca. 5mm)

• _P1010537.jpg
    _P1010537.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 336

I had a look around the car (and underneath as far as you want on dirty ground without a lift).
Although everything looks clean, it's still possible that I have bought a dud if there's hidden rust in the chassis. The body has the odd dings and dongs of every R4 and has seen some manual repaints (and will get more soon).
There are some bubbles with water trapped underneath that will require attention and some signs of rust along the boot floor and the rear wings.
I'll have a friend who is a mechanic prepare for German TÜV (MOT/CT) in order to be able to have it registered. This will give me a known position to start from. I hope it turns out well without too many repairs to start with.

All the best,
Robert

Welcome to R4 owning/driving/enjoying!

This colour was original for a 1978 GTL, if your car has not been resprayed you will find the code on the right front inner wing immediately behind the right headlamp.

Brume Bleu ...

Angel, thanks for the welcome. The seller contacted me and gave me the same location to look for ... so I guess the sticker is there but I just didn't see it.
Anyway, the car is in No. 465 "Brume Bleu".

Robert

Back