Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Barn Find Rebuild

No Paint

Alas, although the morning has dawned clear and sunny, everything is also still under a thick layer of frost even as I write this at 10.45 in the morning , so its a no to any more painting today, even though my Rustoleum says that its good down to 2 degrees..:(

However, earlier in the week, I have managed to get some suitable vinyl locally and have repaired and recovered the rear side trims, and I will try and use the day to do some other little jobs that don't require warmth (or can be brought inside).

Spring?

Well perhaps not quite yet, but we have had a fairly mild few days up here, and so, I have made bold with the paint once more, and as you can see, have now painted the main shell.
The roof still needs another coat and I will probably apply another to A panels and rear quarters. The inside is good enough given that most of it is covered up with rubber mats, etc.
If I can get another coat on that roof this next week, I have next weekend largely by myself, and so will attempt a start on some reassembly.
Tatty edge around the windscreen is J tape. You only need minimal masking when rollering a car.

• bodyshell painted 2 comp.jpg
    bodyshell painted 2 comp.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 389
  • bodyshell painted comp.jpg
    bodyshell painted comp.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 392
Progress

Managed to fit both rear wings this weekend. Quite surprising how much fettling is required, even to fit the original panel back where it came from! However, everything seems to have come together reasonably well.

I then hung the doors and tailgate. The rear nearside door binds a little on its lower rear corner , and obviously needs a tap on the hinges to adjust. Fortunately the Renault 10mm panel gaps all facilitate some adjustment. I'll take my large mallet next visit!

Finally, scrubbed down all of the rubber mats, which have come up really well.

• 26022012209comp.jpg
    26022012209comp.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 356
  • 26022012212comp.jpg
    26022012212comp.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 356
Beautiful !!!
And you did the paint job using the brush not spraying? Incredible!

Keep the pics coming ...

David

Yes, it was all done by foam gloss roller, with just a few odd detail areas done by brush, as per my 'Paint your wagon' thread in the technical section.
The finish straight from the roller is quite good, but once I have reassembled everything and then touched up any minor scars that result, I will flat back any blemishes and compound it all and bring up the shine properly.

I wouldn't mind trying one of the real coach enamels at some point. I have an old Morris 10 that could use a colour change , and so I might have a go if I am happy with the finished article here.

Looking very good indeed! I am not surprised that things didnt line up - one of the great restoration mysteries is why holes move when you take the bolts out. Vertical ones are the worst; I think they are affected by gravity...........

Excellent job!

But the metallic blue was such a nice colour, it is a shame you have not stayed with it.

I agree, it was a nice colour.
However, although I do have some spraying skills, I wasn't confident of my ability to do a good job on a metallic finish and because I wanted a paint finish that would be easily repairable after car park encounters with shopping trolleys, etc. and I wanted to try the different technique, then I decided that this was the way forward..

Managed to get a few more hours in. Adjusted the sticky rear door (ahem), fitted the rear bumper, nearly lost my fingers retensioning the tailgate stay.

Removed the manky front bumper brackets too, which took quite a while, with the help of a blowtorch and a lot of swearing.

Finally, I gave the front end of the chassis and the battery tray, a coat of paint.

picture.php

Last edited:
Wings

Slow progress recently due to a bad back. Nothing too disastrous, but enough to tell you when its had enough and when to call it a day.
In spite of this, I have managed to clean up and scrub the seats, which have come up extremely well, and then to weld the broken hinge bracket back onto the back seat again.
On the car itself, I spent some time fitting the front end back on again. As with the rears, there was a certain amount of fettling required and the whole lot came off a couple of times to have some judicious bending and twisting carried out. At the moment I have left everything just bolted together, with no attempt at sealing or bedding joints as yet, and some final fixings not finished along the A panel joint, since I came to the conclusion that I needed the bonnet lid to make sure that everything would fit together properly and that it was a waste of time going further without it.
Unfortuinately the bonnet lid was several miles away and will require the roofrack to bring it across, since it is too big to fit into the rear of my estate.
So, we're getting there, it still looks a bit wonky in the metal, but the next visit will hopefully see it fully adjusted and sealed (back permitting).

Forgot to take off the sunvisors for a good scrub this evening....drat!

• 14032012238comp.jpg
    14032012238comp.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 455
Good to see you are still making progress.
I also have a bad back and it has prevented me from changing the new faulty radiator on the R6.
I also have a few electrical problems but a friend is bringing his meters tomorrow so I hope that problem will go away.
We both seem to be so close yet so far but hopfully both cars will come out early this year.
Gary

Slow and Steady

Yes, I'm getting there. Things are slowed a little by being obliged to work a few miles from home (because the garage already has two other classics in it!). It means that you have to carry your workshop with you and inevitably you miss that odd piece of wire or screw that you hadn't thought that you would need this time, which normally you'd just ferret out of the garage. So sometimes work sessions come to a halt prematurely.
I've tried to take advantage of the fact that an R4 is largely a bolted together set of panels, taking as much as possible to renovate at home, initially whilst Paul was welding up the chassis for me.
Now it should be like a big construction kit, but inevitably, the act of taking a bolted together car to pieces and putting it back together again, has meant quite a lot of fitting has been required, even though most of the parts are original. I think that Paul might have something with his theory of moving bolt holes.
Still, it's quite satisfying seeing it start to look like a car again and I am hoping to have it completed and usable by early summer.

Managed to get the bonnet across yesterday and test fitted. I used the roof rack, as per my previous post on the subject....reluctantly. I have seen too many lost loads from racks over the years to feel really comfortable with one, but this went uneventfully apart from a rather alarming resonance above 30mph and I drove very sedately, with pictures in my mind's eye of a vibrating lashing strap wearing the paint away somewhere.
Anyway, the bonnet went on okay and after a little pushing and shoving the wings line up reasonably well. The hinges require a little packing to get a better alignment between bonnet top and wing upper edge, but other than that, it looks as least as good in alignment terms as the original car, before dismantling.
I then did a few quick fix jobs, some tightening up here and there, the rear internal quarter trim, and another coat of paint on the front floor so that the seats can go in next week.
After that, nearside sealant and front bumper, a few final adjustments and some touching up, and it is into the electrics and mechanics.

• 31032012255comp.jpg
    31032012255comp.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 369
Still suffering slightly from backache here and there, but in spite of that I have made good progress over the last couple of visits. Its amazing how long it has taken me to get the front end reasonably straight and true, and it is still not absolutely perfect, but looking through the galleries, it is probably representative of most of the good daily drivers, which is what its destiny is and I am happy with it.

Finishing touches this morning after a good final tightening up of all the panel fixing bolts and screws were nudge bars (or love handles?) and front bumper.

Anyway, the external body is now all but complete, with only rear door rubbers to fit , chrome trim strips and some adjustments to door latches, which I may leave until the very end, at which point I will also touch in a few bits of paintwork that have suffered en route.
Inside I have fitted the rear seat, parcel shelf and rear quarter trims, which I have also re-covered in vinyl.
I will aim to finish off the insides in the next visit, by fitting seats, belts and mats....and then its on to the machinery what makes it go (and stop).
I have been accumulating parts, and with the intention of completely replacing the brake hydraulics, have acquired a set of wheel cylinders and a new master cylinder, although I haven't bought any flexible hoses as yet. (Anything coming up Steve?).
I have still to tackle the interference on the engine and refit the exhaust....and then it will be time for the dreaded MOT, but thats a few weeks off as yet.

At least I am almost at the point at which I can sit behind the wheel and make brum brum noises!.

• 14042012260comp.jpg
    14042012260comp.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 323
Flexi hoses

I bought the flexis from the chap in Argentina who advertises on eBay and am very happy with them. The only slight difference is that the nut is not 17mm (it is slightly smaller) so does not fit the mounting bracket so well

There seem to be quite a few flexibles for sale on Ebay at the moment. I'll have a look at the weekend and order some.
The interior is now almost there with front seat belts and front seats in place together with rear mats. I have also refitted the chrome side strips. Bresco do a good trim clip much cheaper than the real thing from Franzose.
I have also stripped and repainted the wheels, which is a major improvement to appearance.
Hoping for a good Renault weekend coming up, as my wife is out for most of it and I can retire to the workshop with a clear conscience.

The parts box is finally getting encouragingly empty.

renault weekend in garage

Hi Barnfind!

I seem to be few weeks behind you with mt R4. I am getting it back home today, freshly painted in 2K.

Have to start putting puzzles together during weekend. It will be more promising than "garage nigtmares" i had with surface prep prior painting, i dislike it.

best luck with your R4, waiting for the road!

Back