Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Barn Find Rebuild

Latest update. Been to Renault dealer to get a Certificate of Conformity, which was quite painless. They just needed to see the vehicle, check the Reg.No. and the VIN number on the car matched the log book, then fill in a simple form, photo copy the log book and my drivers licence and fax it off to Renault and very soon the certificate should hopefully be dropping through the door. Then I will be cleared to export her to France.

Also fitted a high cooling water temperature sensor as the old one was going off before the thermostat had opened! New from Reno - £22+, from the motor factor - under three quid! There was an exhaust leak on the first joint manifold to pipe in the engine bay, but a clean up of the joint, a good smear of GunGum paste on the joint and the joint remade, and very securely, sorted that.

She still was not running well and as all my garage tools are in France I bit the bullet and booked her into my local garage to have a tune up. They went through the lot and set her up so now she really runs very well. I am very pleased with her. But I am told a new distributor will be required sometime in the future - see separate thread - which is easier said than done I fear.

I have an electric screen wash pump and bottle to fit but need a 'push to activate' switch to fit on the dashboard to replace the existing non-electric one before I can go ahead, and it would be interesting to wire in a temporary light to indicate how often the new electric cooling fan is operating. There are some 'clunks' from under the car to source, could be exhaust, hope it's not springs or anti-roll bar. The door shuts need adjusting and some of the door rubbers need reglueing. And one of the bonnet hinges needs a new bolt. And the fuel tank probably needs a better earth making as the fuel gauge is a bit 'iffy', works when it wants to. But we are getting there!

ChrisH
PS. The radiator developed a slight leak, surprise surprise, but a tin of Holts Rad Weld fixed that.

Hello to all that have been following this thread.

Sad to say but this car has now been sold and is on it's way to it's new owners, who plan a complete respray and a starring role in a wedding next Easter!

We reluctantly decided to sell as our circumstances have changed and we found we were not using the car. Not being used it would only have deteriorated and we felt it better it went to someone who could give it the TLC she needed!

ChrisH

Back