Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Blown Fuse

PHILIP BUXTON

Enthusiast
The number 1 fuse( far right) on my 1990 R4GTL has blown. I do not know what the fuse rating is although there appears to be a 16 on the back of the fuse? The fuses are little plastic bodies with flat fuse wire around them Don't know yet where I'll get replacement wire or fuse from but need to know rating
I have no instrument panel lights and no reversing lights at moment
Also there is no number 2 fuse at all. Is this normal? For the record there are 8 more fuses 5 brown and 3 blue
Thanks
PS will it do any harm running care without this fuse in?

..fuses..

Philip

This may help if you have a french R4 and speak french

Number 1 on right should be 16amp and works your reversing lights, your rear window de-mister and your disply lights none of which are very important!!

Number 2 as you will see above is not needed or used

You can get replacements is any Renault garage or auto distribution shop.

• fuses.jpg
    fuses.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 518
The GTL fuses are:

1 16 amp Reversing light, rear screen demist, instrument panel
2 - Not used
3 8 amp Windscreen wiper
4 8 amp Stoplights switch, heating ventelation fan
5 8 amp Interior lamp
6 5 amp Windscreen wiper park
7 5 amp LH front sidelight and rear light
8 5 amp RH front sidelight and rear light
9 5 amp Indicators and flasher unit
10 5 amp Foglamp
11 - Spare fuses.

How is my French Ian - improving?

...could be Verdun...

..Well done Bluebelle

Another correct answer...

What Cd do you want this time?

• cimg1055 e.jpg
    cimg1055 e.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 356
..another bloody Cd?

Well Bluebelle...

Have decided not to give you yet another cd, here is a little cheque to help you pay for the R4 renovation...

Well done

• mary w.jpg
    mary w.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 338
Megabucks

Thanks a lot Ian for the fat cheque towards the R4 restoration. I'm hoping that it will be used for the correct purpose. Unfortunately you have recently introduced Clementine and Frederick to holidays in expensive French resorts like the Ile de Ré so there's no knowing how that money might be spent. Incidentally they too visited that ancient lighthouse and climbed to the top. They came down the easy way though and slid down the bannisters.

• CNV00038-2.jpg
    CNV00038-2.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 351
  • CNV00036-2.jpg
    CNV00036-2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 356
The GTL fuses are:

1 16 amp Reversing light, rear screen demist, instrument panel
2 - Not used
3 8 amp Windscreen wiper
4 8 amp Stoplights switch, heating ventelation fan
5 8 amp Interior lamp
6 5 amp Windscreen wiper park
7 5 amp LH front sidelight and rear light
8 5 amp RH front sidelight and rear light
9 5 amp Indicators and flasher unit
10 5 amp Foglamp
11 - Spare fuses.

How is my French Ian - improving?
Bon soir,
Is there a fuse for my klaxon de voiture on 1990 R4TL.
Taken horn off car. Wire brushed mounting plate to ensure good earth.
Test horn direct to battery. 100% efficient.
Re-mounted horn. Cleaned live contact ensuring tight fit.
Still no horn when indicator stalk pressed-in (ignition on)
Help please

Couldn't get my tester to light-up by pressing horn stalk.
Is there a relay in the circuit somewhere?
My next chance to look at it will be tomorrow evening,
Thanks

Nope, I think... my next pass would be trying to identify the wire from switch to horn and check if you have 12v on the contact on the switch (pressing) and if the wire is in good condition (with tester on the bip option - diode).

Black skies here today buddy, and a lousy forecast for the week ahead. Shame, because I was going to take the old girl for m.o.t. today. With my track-record on steering column cowls, it will work out less expensive to visit an auto-electrician.
A car horn circuit without a fuse..... SPOOKY !!

Thanks and regards

Hi Neil, the earth on a klaxon/horn is actually the bolt that secures it to the body of the car. In my case and probably on yours, it's the bumper bracket.

The bumper bracket is obviously painted so its the inside of the hole that has got to be cleaned as well, and the bolt itself.

As Azazello says, it's pretty simple to test your positive wire with a multimeter, set it to DC current 20 volts then put the red wire to your positive live wire and the black wire to earth on the car. And make sure that your ignition is turned on when you get someone to press the horn/klaxon

Correct Mo, it is bolted to the bumper bracket. With the whole car having just been painted, I guess the bumper was replaced after the two coats of stone-chip were applied underbody. But it's earthing somehow, because horn sounded healthy when i gave it 12v direct from battery.
Took the plunge yesterday evening and removed the bottom half of steering column cowl. Great feeling of accomplishment because i didn't break anything!
Scraped the dust off everything and eased the two block connectors out from switch body.
After identifying "live in" - key on & key off, feeding all other terminals failed to produce the required sound.
Can anyone tell me the colour that i need to look for. 1990 R4TL 956cc.
It doesn't look like anyone has previously suffered problems, and created a multi-coloured puzzle,
Thanks

All OK now.
Still not sure what the problem was.
Everything went back without breaking anything,
cheers

Back